Temperature sensor TR6

Put new water hoses and down pipe (with sensor) on the TR6. 

filled up, and water drip drip dripping from the sensor connection to pipe. It’s tight, with a washer behind it. 

Supplier said not to use sealant, but anyone had this issue?

thanks

John

They are not tapered threads so the threads shouldn't make the seal.

They tend to use a fibre washer (sometimes a copper or alloy one). There is no reason why you can't use sealant on this but it might be the washer has split or there is a bit of grob preventing the seal from occurring.

The contact area (I would not call it a flange) on my down pipe was really minimal, so it is easy to damage a fibre washer. Sealant will help but should not be needed and is a last resort.
First I would check mating faces where the gasket contacts for damage etc. A copper or aluminium washer may be a better choice if the fibre does not seal.

Waldi

Are you sure its the sealing washer area thats leaking as there have been pipes leaking due to poor welding/brazing in of the threaded flange to the pipe itself.

Stuart.

The washer supplied is a steel washer. 

I have looked at the weld, but worth a double check tomorrow. I can hold the pipe in hand, put water in it, and watch it drip….

Edited by johnwill
1 hour ago, johnwill said:

The washer supplied is a steel washer. 

That is totally wrong. Are you sure it was not aluminium?

A  “steel” gasket ring is very likely harder than the used grade of SS for these pipes and certainly harder than the sender material (if brass), so it will almost not deform, but the pipe face and sender face will instead.

Check the faces as Richard says and use a correct fitting copper or aluminium gasket ring.

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

That is totally wrong. Are you sure it was not aluminium?

A  “steel” gasket ring is very likely harder than the used grade of SS for these pipes and certainly harder than the sender material (if brass), so it will almost not deform, but the pipe face and sender face will instead.

Check the faces as Richard says and use a correct fitting copper or aluminium gasket ring.

Waldi

I’ll check it tomorrow, thanks