TR6 gearbox overhaul

Hi, just purchased my 1st TR6 a UK 1972 CP. Extensive history file containing comment from annual service stating layshaft noisey backed up by roper whining in gears 1 to 3 not in 4th. Also rumble in neutral. Any recommendations for g/box, O/D, diff rebuilder in Coventry area and approx £ costs? Apologies expect this question has been asked countless times! Any help much appreciated.

Another vote for Pete and Tom Cox. 
as you can see here 

https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk/testimonials

they do a great job whether it’s a road car or an abused sprint car. And no I don’t get sponsorship off them just very appreciative of their service and help.

the costs are very fair but you need to give them the box to diagnose it to be fair.

and they are very close to you. 

13 hours ago, PJI said:

Hi, just purchased my 1st TR6 a UK 1972 CP. Extensive history file containing comment from annual service stating layshaft noisey backed up by roper whining in gears 1 to 3 not in 4th. Also rumble in neutral. Any recommendations for g/box, O/D, diff rebuilder in Coventry area and approx £ costs? Apologies expect this question has been asked countless times! Any help much appreciated.

Based upon my own experience when I got the dreaded whine in 1 to 3rd gears. I took my G/B and O/D to ORS in Sheffield as they are one of the leading repairers of O/D's and gearboxes ( all makes) here in the UK and the only company who can manufacture replacement parts as they worked for GKN and bought their machine tools to set up business. Also there are still a large number of bad lay shafts still circulating which originate from Moss. The Essex  boys seem to have suffered big time with this problem. ORS  make there own. It cost me around £1000 and included the Stag mod to the lay gear which now has 3 needle roller bearings for the lay shaft.

Bruce.

Late last year I rebuilt a 2500 box with J type overdrive which is intended for my TR6.

I bought it on ebay with a knackered layshaft and associated gear damage.

I dismantled it, assessed what needed replacing with some help from experts, acquired the bits and assembled it using the Buckeye guides.

I had trouble getting the mainshaft into the centre bearing, it was a very tight fit, but with the help of another Register member finished the assembly.

We tested it on a test bed and it seems to be fine. It doesn't leak any oil which is a good sign. One day I'll fit it into a car.

It wasn't that difficult and I'm sure that you will have knowledgeable helpers near you. I'm quite proud of myself for tackling it and now know a great deal more about what makes a gearbox work, and break.