Gearbox Reassembly Question 2

I am reassembling my gearbox having refurbished it and despite meticulous notes, think I have a problem. I’m actually also converting this to add a J Type O/drive unit but that should be irrelevant – I have the correct new main shaft.  (My box is an October 1973 USA spec one.)

Picture 4 shows main shaft almost in box with rear main bearing not fully home in casing – see my question 1 post for reason.

I cannot see how to get the first motion shaft in and I’m sure it originally simply pulled out. My Haynes manual says it slides in after the rest of the main shaft is in the box. The problem is that mine won’t. The front thin gear teeth foul on the first motion shaft’s large / wide cog stopping it going in – arrowed in red. I haven’t yet put in the inner roller bearing so that would make it harder as there would be less play room.

What’s wrong?

Answers / pictures / references to any web site info appreciated. I also have the Buckeye articles but they are not clear at this point.

4.jpg

26 minutes ago, Richard Pope said:

I am reassembling my gearbox having refurbished it and despite meticulous notes, think I have a problem. I’m actually also converting this to add a J Type O/drive unit but that should be irrelevant – I have the correct new main shaft.  (My box is an October 1973 USA spec one.)

Picture 4 shows main shaft almost in box with rear main bearing not fully home in casing – see my question 1 post for reason.

I cannot see how to get the first motion shaft in and I’m sure it originally simply pulled out. My Haynes manual says it slides in after the rest of the main shaft is in the box. The problem is that mine won’t. The front thin gear teeth foul on the first motion shaft’s large / wide cog stopping it going in – arrowed in red. I haven’t yet put in the inner roller bearing so that would make it harder as there would be less play room.

What’s wrong?

Answers / pictures / references to any web site info appreciated. I also have the Buckeye articles but they are not clear at this point.

4.jpg

It looks to me in your first picture that you have the layshaft in place. You will not get the rear bearing on or the spigot shaft in whilst the laygear is in place.

You’ll need to withdraw the layshaft and allow the laygear to drop into the bottom of the box. After installing the 1st/3rd motion shafts I used a screwdriver then a larger diameter drift to lift the laygear and thrust washers into place, then insert the layshaft.

You should now carefully check each gear for chipping on the edges of the gears where you’ve been trying to drift it into place.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Yes I do so that's the problem then.

Thanks,

PS. As I drifted the main shaft into the rear bearing, the gears were all free so hopefully none were chipped.

Elin Yakov's "Rusty Beauties" on YouTube has a playlist showing the disassembly/reassembly of a GT6 gearbox which is identical to a TR6. I found it extremely useful as he goes through the entire procedure and explains everything he is doing.

Well thans for this link. Whilst there are several differences between this GT6 gearbox and the TR6 one the crucial bit that I got stumped on (above) happened to him. It turned out easy for him as his lay shafts were free to move/slide. I cannot remember if mine are. Still that is an easy way to do it.

Go all the way through the start of the 7th video to get to his answer!

Will now have a go.

• 1 year later...

I've just completed (?) gearbox (CC123486) rebuild on my '76 TR6 and have been relying heavily on Elin's videos for the overall restoration. 

I replaced syncro rings, 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear bushings (from Moss, I think they all fit, none were too short or too tall), main bearings, rebuilt the syncro hubs (new springs, ball bearings). 

As far as I know, all components made it back into the gearbox. I did this over a couple of weeks, and was meticulous in tracking parts.

I have all reassembled except add the tail, but am concerned about sealing it up because of noise concerns when I manually turn the shaft and shift through the gears (it is still out of the car). It shifts fine, if a little stiff from the rebuilt syncro hubs I would imagine, and no real lubricant yet.

There is more play in the laygear(s) / shaft than I expected (thrust washers are in place). The whole assembly is fairly noisy when I oscillate / rotate the shaft. A slight metallic jangle as the components move.

No fluid is in the housing, but all components lubed with Elin's blue assembly goo.

Should the gearbox be noisy in this state?