This could ruin your Torquay bank holiday

30 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

Oops…..my fault . I was out in my u- boat and pressed the fire button by mistake !!

LOL

I read a report about a week ago of a conflagration in a bus/coach depot - two electric vehicles and 4 diesel vehicles had been burnt out.  I suspect that the fire started in one of the electric vehicles, quickly spreading to the others.

One should not park anywhere near an electric vehicle because when they catch fire the results can be catastrophic as the fire seems to be more of an explosion, and very difficult to extinguish.  Wouldn't want to have one in my garage, or even on my property.

Ian Cornish

The one in Paris was spectacular:

But the Parisians seen at one minute in show proper disdain for such minor matters as they attend to their "pause du clope" (ciggie break) even though they are only 20 meters from the fire.    Toujours détendu, mes vieux!

They do say it takes 3000 gallons of water to extinguish a Tesla if it catches fire, or apparently a Telehandler and a swimming pool works too ;)

Stuart.

In the Netherlands, firefighters have giant 'dunk tanks' and drop a burning EV in that to put it out:

image.thumb.png.022faf01573642d5bc1a9b44f6e6b72c.png

Not sure if the giant fire blanket approach will work with EVs:

Some years ago I saw a Sunseeker superyacht destroyed by fire in Poole harbour. It was due to be handed over the following day to its new owner who had flown in from half way across the globe and witnessed the blaze. Poole is the hq for the RNLI, who were having their annual dinner that night and many of them turned up in their DJs to assist! The heat was incredible!
Tim

….. still on you tube.

Duncan,

Don't be shy!    Which technique is unsuitable, and why?

These companies makes fire blanket specifically for EV fires!   

https://www.prosol.co.uk/product/ev-car-fire-blankets/ 

https://icbrindle.com/fire-isolator-blanket-electric-vehicle-ev-fire-blanket.html

Fire blanket on an electric vehicle - 

Clearly, you need to leave the  blanket on until it all cools down!   The Dutch leave the car in the dunk tank for 24 hours!

John