Can someone assist please.

I have a 1965 TR4 with a gearbox that is synchronised going up gear but not synchronised coming down.

It has an overdrive attached with O/D operable in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Q - Is this a TR4 gearbox

Q - If not and I were to replace it with a TR4 gearbox would the same O/D unit fit

Many Thanks

STEVE

Hi Steve.

It's not possible for synchro to work going up, but not going down, what is happening is the synchro is worn, & not working very well, going up through the gears is much less demanding of the synchromesh, as when the clutch is down the input shaft (& laygear) slow down naturaly towards the speed required to mesh nicely in the next higher gear. When you change down the opposite is true, the input shaft needs to speed up.

It does sound as if your box is a TR box as the saloon boxes did not have overdrive on 2nd gear.

I would look into having your gearbox overhauled rather than buying another (unknown ) box.

Bob

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum

if you can see the clutch actuator lever on the left side of the GB then you should be able to see the GB serial number.

A TR4  would be CT xxxxx like this   GB Number

Roger

Edited by RogerH
15 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Does the gear box go ‘crunch’ when you engage reverse, when stationary?    
Maybe clutch adjustment if it is the adjustable type.

Mine does that sometimes. Nice smooth changes in all other gears but reverse can sometimes take a couple of attempts. Usually quire smooth but occasionally a ‘crunch’! Car is a 4A. Did not think there was any clutch adjustment?

When going down the gears, good idea to heel-and-toe in order to speed up the input shaft, thereby reducing the load on the synchromesh.  Alternatively, engage the lower gear more slowly - don't ram it through!

The TR4, with original style clutch, has adjustment at the push rod on the slave cylinder.  And, in fact, many of us using diaphragm clutches, retain the adjuster and its return spring.

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...

Double de-clutching is fine unless you are decelerating, with your right foot operating the brake - in this case you need the heel of the right foot to push the accelerator.  This is heel-and toe.

Ian Cornish