Intake issues!

Hello all!  I would appreciate your thoughts on a couple of problems I have found with the carb and manifold on my CF engine. Firstly the steel pipe that runs through the underside of the intake manifold is rotten. I was planning on removing it and replacing with a piece of good thick walled copper about 15 mm diameter, however I think it was fitted as part of the casting process and may have some form of ridges or something I can’t see? It certainly doesn’t want to move! I have tried heating and tapping to no avail. I could drill it out (and may do yet!) but am worried about damaging the manifold badly. Have any of you removed one successfully?. I’m also considering the option of cutting off the remains and running without? I was under the impression that once the engine is up to temperature it’s better to have a cool air charge for density.... I’m thinking I’m mainly going to be using this car in summer so maybe it’s not the worst idea? What do you think?  Also, I have put right various damage caused by previous owners to the Stromberg carbs, but one thing  escapes me - somehow the main jets are at different heights and I can’t see what is securing them, can anyone enlighten me! Regards Alan.