I bought a used pair of vinyl door caps from Conrad a while ago, I was going to have a go at sticking them on with Tiger Seal, bit I noticed there are a series of small holes in the back; is there supposed to be some other fixing? I cant see how you would screw in anything from the back??

Any thoughts?

Rgds

David

door caps.JPG

Theyre the cheap Moss moulded ones, I suspect the holes are from the moulding process.

Stuart.

Thanks chaps, I did consider leaving unpainted but there is a bit of damage on one side of the paintwork and had ignored it thinking it was going to be covered. I looked at matching wooden cappings but baulked at the £196 price tag (Classic dash)

David

My preference if you did not want to paint would be to use the black  vinyl vacuum formed capping from a post 74 TR6.   824901 & 824911.

20 minutes ago, qkingston said:

Thanks chaps, I did consider leaving unpainted but there is a bit of damage on one side of the paintwork and had ignored it thinking it was going to be covered. I looked at matching wooden cappings but baulked at the £196 price tag (Classic dash)

David

Quick fix is black Vinyl the area that the capping would cover.Seen it done on a few now and it looks OK as long as you use nice fine grain material.

Stuart.

7 hours ago, qkingston said:

.I looked at matching wooden cappings but baulked at the £196 price tag (Classic dash)

David

David  - £196 for CD's moulded and veneered door cappings is a very good price and you are baulking at it!!! TR Shop used to charge £345 ( don't know what they charge now) and the other suppliers similar or more - I think the vinyl ones are not that different in price either.

In my humble opinion, there is no contest between the two types - the wood ones really do set off the interior and worth every penny, and more even at full price

Cheers Rich

28 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

David  - £196 for CD's moulded and veneered door cappings is a very good price and you are baulking at it!!! TR Shop used to charge £345 ( don't know what they charge now) and the other suppliers similar or more - I think the vinyl ones are not that different in price either.

In my humble opinion, there is no contest between the two types - the wood ones really do set off the interior and worth every penny, and more even at full price

Cheers Rich

Each to their own, but I agree with Rich and am very pleased with the CD wooden door cappings on my 6.

Nigel

13 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

If they are like the repro TR6 ones, they look ok when fitted but are absolute swines to get to stick. Ended up using a wire brush to scuff off the surface before they would stick. 

Thats because of the release agent from the moulding process, to get rid of it you need to thoroughly clean the area to be glued using a scothbrite pad soaked in a good quality spirit wipe, give it a really good scrub off and then clean off with a dry lint free cloth.

Stuart.