water temperature 4a

Hello,

My car goes from cold to normal within a mile, then happily stays at normal for ever.  My question is that this seems very quick to get up to temp,   and suspect a stuck open thermostat. If it was stuck shut I would expect it to go over normal pretty quickly.

What do you think? Is it normal?

Thanks
Dave

===

Hi Dave.

As you say, if the thermostat was stuck shut the car would definately overheat.  It sounds to me that the thermostat is doing it's job very well.

If you are still concerned, check the temperature gauge accuracy by removing the sender, & dunking it in a pot of warm water, along with a known good thermometer, add boiling water to it, & compare the readings as it gets hotter.

Bob

If the thermostat was stuck open it would take a long time for the engine to warm up and it might never properly get there Dave .   The fact the temperature is regulated quickly to  'normal'  means the thermostat must be doing its job.  I would say everything is fine. 

Edited by RobH
typo

Thank you everyone. I'll  worry about something else instead (dodgy horns)..

Dave

-===

At this time of year, and with daytime temperatures somewhat above the normal for May, the engine will not be very cold when started and will get to running temperature quite rapidly.

I agree with the others that your car seems to be working as one would wish.

Ian Cornish

Dave

Same here, I let the car idle for a few minutes before i take off as i have a very steep garage encline.  Water temp is already 1/3 after 3 minutes and does not move unless I hit traffic and then it goes to 1/2 (dynamo/large belt/mechanical fan).

and as you I tend to worry about nearly everything :) and reading the forum makes it worse as we talk about issues rather than trouble free miles...

cheers

Laurent

Edited by Lo100469