TR3a original steering gear

1 hour ago, pcwesthead said:

Hello all

does anyone have original steering gear they don’t need anymore.  So, box and column, idler gear, drag link etc etc.

regards

Peter 

Right or LH drive?   

Fixed or split columns 

Adjustable or fixed steering wheel?

I can probably do some of the kit you need.

Peter W

there must be some knocking about from those that change to R and P steering

Right hand drive.  I have rack and pinion, with currently non adjustable, with two flexible joints.  Don’t know what the original was regarding “split”,  and “adjustable. 

Regards peter

If its a 3a it would probably have had a split column which as you have a rack conversion then you already have the top section of column, its unlikely you have an adjustable wheel which arent much use anyway as they only bring the wheel closer to you.

Stuart

20220520_175811.thumb.jpg.90eff23ac98f94f262b269c9fd975b12.jpg

This is what I could offer.  2 X steering arms (standard) 3 X track rod's (1 with ball joints on)

a steering box support bracket,  a steering box output arm, & a steering idler  all from a TR3

Bob

Bob thats marvellous.  If you would put my name on them, and I’ll think of a way to collect them.  My son lives in London, I visit regularly.  (I have noticed that I hadn’t said ‘3a’.  Are they still the same?)  I’ve just edited accordingly.  Very happy to pay for these of course.

regards

peter

Yep, the parts I have are the same TR3 & 3A  Only difference is the steering column, which is split in front of the bulkhead on later 3A's

Parts are here (Leatherhead) when you want them.

Bob.

P.S.  You don't appear to be a TR Register member, think about joining - lots of benefits.

Thats interesting Bob.  I have emailed admin.  I struggle to get on this blog.  Because I joined in August 2021, joint members.  Is it January to January, not 12 months.  Rhetorical question , up to me to find out.  I’ll be back from this limbo I appear to be trapped in.  How do members  contact each other within the protocols of the website/security etc

regards, Peter  

I have this lot from 1960 TR3a

Ralph

20220521_081342.jpg

Peter - I appreciate the delays are frustrating but stick with it!

you can contact other members by sending a “PM” - a personal message - click on the persons avatar on any post and that will open up a series of options whereby you can send them a message with your contact details - if you get a message it goes into your forum mailbox - it’s the envelope in top right hand corner of a forum page - if you have an unread message, there will be a red flag against it

I don’t understand why new Forumites aren’t given an induction message when joining explaining all this 

John( Morrison) is this something worth looking at 

cheers Rich 

Edited by rcreweread
Clarification

No problem Peter. Out of curiosity, why are you changing back to steering box from r+p ?

Ralph

Hello Ralph.  Well, this is my first TR.  the previous owner has fitted r+p, and I subsequently learned that this means I cant change the fanbelt without removing the rack clamps and a steering column clamp.  I saw another tr3 where there was much more room, and also retaining the four blade fan.  But I didn’t know why the arrangements were so different.  Rimmers, Revington and Moss all seem to be like mine.  I realise people find the steering heavy as standard.

regards, Peter  

Hello Ralph.  Well, this is my first TR.  the previous owner has fitted r+p, and I subsequently learned that this means I cant change the fanbelt without removing the rack clamps and a steering column clamp.  I saw another tr3 where there was much more room, and also retaining the four blade fan.  But I didn’t know why the arrangements were so different.  Rimmers, Revington and Moss all seem to be like mine.  I realise people find the steering heavy as standard.

regards, Peter  

Ah, I see.  Usual reccomendation is to remove the original fan assembly and fit an electric one because of the closeness of the fan hub extension and rack, others undo the engine mounting bolts and lift the engine enough to slide the belt under the fan boss, some even tape a spare belt to the timing cover on the front of the engine for emergencies. Changing to a narrow fan belt is another way to go with a kit of pulleys you can buy. You may also be able to gain enough room by sliding some spacers under the engine mounting rubbers to lift the front of the engine enough to pass the belt under but be aware of the top hose on the radiator is not under stress.

On my own car I went with the electric fan and a narrow belt conversion as I was fitting an alternator.

Ralph

Did you get a steering box yet?

I have a RHD long type for  fixed steering wheel.

£75.00  collected from Pinner HA5 area NW London

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
8 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Did you get a steering box yet?

I have a RHD long type for  fixed steering wheel.

£75.00  collected from Pinner HA5 area NW London

I haven’t.  Would you put my name on that please.  I’m very grateful.  I’ll work out how to collect and pay.  Regards, peter

6 minutes ago, pcwesthead said:

I haven’t.  Would you put my name on that please.  I’m very grateful.  I’ll work out how to collect and pay.  Regards, peter

Ok I will hang a label on it for you.

I have sent you a Personal Message with my contact details in.

Thank you.  Just a double check…Will ‘long type’ and ‘fixed steering wheel’ fit my car.  I don’t know what was there originally.  I currently have a non adjustable column with two flexible joints before it joins the rack.  (With no working indicator or horn of course). Regards, Peter

12 minutes ago, pcwesthead said:

Ok I will hang a label on it for you.

I have sent you a Personal Message with my contact details in.

The long column fits from the steering wheel down to the chassis bracket.   The upper column you have and couplings are removed.

What I have is used.   I will post a photo over the weekend.

You will need to source a horn push /indicator/wiring assy and a stator tube for the cables to get everything as original.  

You will definitely need all the other parts people have offered so far.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT