J-Type Overdrive Special Filter Tool

HI all, I'm trying to fix my non-engagement of overdrive when it gets hot. Forum suggestions suggest new o rings in solenoid as well as cleaning the internal filter behind the overdrive sump plate. I Dont mind buying the spanner for removing the solenoid but the two pronged filter cover tool (L354A), is quite expensive.

So, does anyone have the exact dimensions for the diameter and spacing for the two pins, or perhaps could measure if they have the tool, so I can manufacture something suitable?

Cheers, Colin.

7 hours ago, c.hydes said:

HI all, I'm trying to fix my non-engagement of overdrive when it gets hot. Forum suggestions suggest new o rings in solenoid as well as cleaning the internal filter behind the overdrive sump plate. I Dont mind buying the spanner for removing the solenoid but the two pronged filter cover tool (L354A), is quite expensive.

So, does anyone have the exact dimensions for the diameter and spacing for the two pins, or perhaps could measure if they have the tool, so I can manufacture something suitable?

Cheers, Colin.

I think I used a pair of circlip pliers. They shouldn't be too tight.

11 hours ago, c.hydes said:

two pronged filter cover tool (L354A), is quite expensive.

Martin adjustable spanner wrench #482 or equivalent 

Volvo special tool # 2836 or 999 2836

Make your own tool from an old 1/2 socket

I have read and not verified that the pin diameter equals 5mm

Search: J+Type+Overdrive+Part+II.PDF

The author of this article made the tool.

MRT482-2[1].jpg

GAZ coil over green adjustment spanner perfect fit if you have one knocking about.

Andy

Thanks for all the replies on the tool required to remove the filter plate and two others behind the j type overdrive sump plate.

My concern with using the "punch, and other improvised pliers" etc., is that on replacing the cover plates you can`t tighten to the correct torques as specified in the WSM?

Also these cover plates haven't seen the light of day for 23 years, so suggest the maybe quite tight? Guess this is why I would prefer making something similar to the Churchill L354L tool with a nut for my torque wrench.

Regards, Colin.