Securing strap in boot

Hello all

I have a strap fitted in the boot space next to the spare wheel, I assume that its to secure either a tool kit or a jack and wheel brace when it left the factory. However the space between the strap and spare wheel (see photo) doesn't feel big enough to accommodate either. Can anyone confirm my thinking or was it used for a completely different reason? or is it just a ra ndom after market fitment by a previous owner?

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

From memory the strap was to secure the tool kit, standard fitment.

Regards

Harvey

I have a period correct replica tool role, with all the correct old style tools, and no way does it fit into that gap, nor does the strap present it's self in a way to hold the roll, which is too fat and too long! I also still have the original tiny scissor jack that was supplied with the car from the factory, and that doesn't fit either! It's a mystery!!!

Thanks all, it’s a bit of a conundrum indeed. The space is very small for a tool kit or a jack so I’m sort of none the wiser!

CP26309 - if ever you get a rush of blood to the head and want to part with the tool kit and jack please let me know, I’m looking for both.

Keith, I believe that as standard all TR6 left the factory with a small blue tool roll that at various times throughout production held a headlamp removal tool, a screw for the front hub centre oil cap and a plug / combination spanner. This small tool roll was fixed in place by the leather strap. The 1973 parts book lists all of the tools available on page 146. I believe that the tool kit as shown by CP26309 was supplied as an option by the factory or by the supplying dealer and fitted in the bowl of the spare wheel along with the jack and wheel brace. We have a few Heritage certificates on file with tool kits listed as factory fitted equipment but the vast majority only list a tool roll. The image shown below shows what came with a 1970 USA TR6 with has covered only a few thousand miles from new. 

Derek  

16204220969677a59891971Triumph176.jpg

Hi Keith,  If you can lay your hands on a copy of a Brooklands Book Triumph TR6 1969-1976, compiled by R.M.Clarke.

On page 79 of a road test of a 1970 TR 6 for sale there is a photo of the  original tool kit layed out in the boot.

The main contents being a set of 3 Williams super slip open ended spanners, a plug spanner with bar & a  lucas point

setting tool ( there may also have been a screw driver ) they were all contained in a black plastic wallet.

Good hunting

Harvey

On 5/27/2022 at 12:56 PM, DRD said:

I've got one as well - its supposed to be a strap for the tool roll, which obviously had less tools than the one above!

+1 I have had my car from new and there has been certainly a lot of additions to that tool roll!!!

Bruce.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:34 AM, saffrontr said:

Keith, I believe that as standard all TR6 left the factory with a small blue tool roll that at various times throughout production held a headlamp removal tool, a screw for the front hub centre oil cap and a plug / combination spanner. This small tool roll was fixed in place by the leather strap. The 1973 parts book lists all of the tools available on page 146. I believe that the tool kit as shown by CP26309 was supplied as an option by the factory or by the supplying dealer and fitted in the bowl of the spare wheel along with the jack and wheel brace. We have a few Heritage certificates on file with tool kits listed as factory fitted equipment but the vast majority only list a tool roll. The image shown below shows what came with a 1970 USA TR6 with has covered only a few thousand miles from new. 

Derek  

16204220969677a59891971Triumph176.jpg

Derek

My car is a Jan 73 car one owner, and all my tools came in a black plastic roll up with individual sections. I have not got that blue wallet?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

That seems to be the case with what is listed in the Heritage certificates in that you either got the black plastic tool roll which had the tools listed or the blue tool pouch which only held a few items. Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones who got the full tool kit.

Derek  

On 5/25/2022 at 4:35 PM, CP26309 said:

I have a period correct replica tool role, with all the correct old style tools, and no way does it fit into that gap, nor does the strap present it's self in a way to hold the roll, which is too fat and too long! I also still have the original tiny scissor jack that was supplied with the car from the factory, and that doesn't fit either! It's a mystery!!!

Hi, here's the boot in my CP265..LP, with the securing strap and the correct original tools... I guess! More pictures are coming in the next few minutes ;-)

William

P1110143.JPG

William, your explanation seems to be the answer to solve this 'Strap Mystery' Although I have never seen that type of multi piece jack handle. But as your Jack, hub cap leaver and wheel brace are defiantly period correct, one has to accept your Jack handle may well be original too. The Strap would certainly stop it rattling about! Thank you for finally solving this mystery! 

And as an after thought...the reason that original multipart jack handle is rare, is I would hazard a guess most original owners dispensed with it as too fiddley to stow, displacing it with a more simple short one piece jack handle. My 69 CP car which I bought when it was just under 3 years old had the original jack, and empty strap, and a short one piece jack handle. Maybe Standard Triumph replaced it, and shop floor assemblers carried on fitting the strap? 

• 1 month later...