Hi folks,

pulled these off my TR4, during preperation for putting a few miles on the old girl,

next week, obviously shot, but suprisingly 'Squidgy'

Now I'm not complaning, as these have been on the car quite a while, but am asking what do members do

to to 'Maintain' poly bushes?

John.

superpro bushes for forum.jpg

Hi John I would talk to Superpro ( if they are Superpro )I don’t think that should have happened. Were they installed with their prescribed lubrication products?

Iain

Edited by iain

MGBGTV8 register is just going through this with a car set of PolyBushes 

copied content here all acknowledgement’s to the originator

https://www.v8register.net/dp/220516-mgbgtv8-polybish-disintegration-gb1.pdf

Failed in much the same way.

Perhaps lack of lubricant on assembly.   Super pro/super flex usually supply a sachet of the appropriate grease with their bush kits.

Just an aside….

If you are considering fitting the original rubber bushes instead.

I still have perhaps 100 NOS Original Triumph top inner wishbone rubber bushes for TR2-6.  Pt no 102228.

£1.00 each plus postage.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

MGBGTV8 register is just going through this with a car set of PolyBushes 

copied content here all acknowledgement’s to the originator

https://www.v8register.net/dp/220516-mgbgtv8-polybish-disintegration-gb1.pdf

Failed in much the same way.

Perhaps lack of lubricant on assembly.   Super pro/super flex usually supply a sachet of the appropriate grease with their bush kits.

That link doesnt seem to work Peter.

Stuart.

Polybushes should not get squidgy. If they do then they are probably not polyurethane. I have polybushes on cars 20+ years old and yes, they wear and even split after a lot of weather and abuse but they have never gone squidgy or looked rotten like those.

31 minutes ago, stuart said:

That link doesnt seem to work Peter.

Stuart.

Same problem for me now.   Probably a website fault.    Will access and photo if I can through another source.

Hi John

Presume they are front top wishbone bushes.

I've used a lot of SuperPro bushes over the years and I've never seen one fail like in the pics. Looks like they have rotted have they become some how contaminated?

Also possible the they are not SuperPro and counterfeit copies as they look a bit too dark. Interesting if they are genuine SuperPro to see what the outcome is, send them back to them and see what they say.

Andy  

14 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

That article doesnt state that they were Superpro originally, just that theyre blue poly. There are lots of polybushes around of varying quality and different hardness from all sorts of suppliers, Ive been fitting Superflex from Chris Witor and they seem to be happily lasting the course.

Stuart.

37 minutes ago, stuart said:

That article doesnt state that they were Superpro originally, just that theyre blue poly. There are lots of polybushes around of varying quality and different hardness from all sorts of suppliers, Ive been fitting Superflex from Chris Witor and they seem to be happily lasting the course.

Stuart.

The bushes have ‘polybush’ moulded on them

Even the good makes have a finite life so the assumption they are fit and forget is probably not correct. Polyurethane in a rough, rusty suspension arms are going to abrade them with time. Additionally they may have been contaminated by an assembly grease that may have been unsuitable and caused them to deteriorate.

Yes they are probably better than the quality of repro rubber parts.

17 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

Similar story in the latest “In The Garage” 

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/devon/social-report/2022/04/2021/In-The-Garage-April-2022-Issue-15

As Stuart I’ve had no problems with SuperPro or Superflex  

You might like to tell your contributor Martin it would be a good idea to get some proper mounting brackets for his rear tube shocks to save damaging his wheel arches.

Stuart.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:50 AM, iain said:

Were they installed with their prescribed lubrication products?

FYI: My Polybush instructions say "Use only soapy water or tyre soap to insert Polybushes. "

14 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

FYI: My Polybush instructions say "Use only soapy water or tyre soap to insert Polybushes. "

Superpro bushes come with their own specific lubrication products in a sachet supplied with all bushes that require it.

(available in larger quantities.https://superpro.com.au/show-product/superpro-grease/orphan-WPTUBSIL)

Their products if correctly installed come with a lifetime warranty including competition and circuit use.

No connection just a satisfied customer.

Iain

2 hours ago, iain said:

Superpro bushes come with their own specific lubrication products in a sachet supplied with all bushes that require it.

(available in larger quantities.https://superpro.com.au/show-product/superpro-grease/orphan-WPTUBSIL)

Their products if correctly installed come with a lifetime warranty including competition and circuit use.

No connection just a satisfied customer.

Iain

Same with Superflex ones I believe. Hence my doubt that the ones pictured in the OP are genuine ones.

Stuart.

10 years or so back there was a spate of forum posts on here and other sites discussing polybushes that were melting/disintegrating.

SuperPro are guaranteed for life (if not longer) hence the cost.

Roger

Hi all

This is almost certainly cause by the bushes getting into contact with grit or rust and abrading. This is why super pro and other better poly bushes come with a grease to use when fitting. The lesser / cheaper types do too, so that’s not necessarily a guide in my experience, so once again you definitely get what you pay for.

The biggest issues are quality of material, which is why I use super pro as a rule, but also how you fit them and what you fit them to. If you nick the collars, they will tear. If you fit them badly, in squint or a obviously under pressure they will rupture over time just like rubber and lastly if they are fitted to grotty suspension bits with sharp edges they will also tear. That’s why it’s better to strip the whole front end (for example) and start with clean and painted metalwork - you definitely get longer life and more trouble free running, shortened only by harsh use as I know.

The last point I’d make is that no bush on a TR is ‘fit and forget’ and they all require inspection and periodic replacement. The MOT test isn’t quite robust enough, so it’s important that you do this or get this done regularly before the horrible grinding and clonking noises start. It’s a half hour job.

regards

Tony 

Hi all,

just to wrap this up.

Firstly, I changed the topic title to Polly bushes from Superpro, when checking, I'm not certain of the make, so that is only proper, though the replacements now fitted are Superpro.

What puzzled me was the speed in deteriation of these from the car, there was no sign of such problems at the last MOT (August) last year, of that I'm certain, both me and my MOT man would have spotted this. So thinking on the cause? well I've come to the conclusion that it is - Rocksalt.

We put to gether a marvelous group run in late January, actually in response to to the spares day being cancelled, glorious top down driving in the North Pennines, and just catching Yorkshire. Or course we knew there would be some salt on the roads, and this never bothered me, just give the car a good wash - soonas.

However, and here my regular maintainence and copious greasing on fitting said bushes has come back to bite me, looking closely the bushes are gritty, and I think this is sand, from the rocksalt that has stuck to the greased bushes and VERY quickly worked its way in to the arm and destroyed the poly.

As stated in my opening thread, I wasn't complaing about these bushes, they must have done a decade or more,  but was curious as to the very rapid deteriation, welcome your thinking chaps, but I would say that Tonys reply above seems to me to be the definative, as I incorrectly thought, these bushes are not virtually  fit and forget, and grease can be an issue as well as a boon, I'll use my car all year round, but I'll check these bushes much more regularly than before.

Thanks all,

John.

12851483_jan2022plusleyburnrun012small1.jpg.461e20c2776018900c1bab4aa9fb26ec.jpg

John, I think you have done the right thing in changing the title.

We must be careful not to be critical of products by association, not all parts although essentially appearing the same are the same. 

Cheers

Iain