If you use the equal valve lift method, how do you determine the valve clearance, as I suppose the figure is done without a tappet clearance, so by using the 0.010" valve clearance this will retard the opening by that amount surely?   Or is the opening/closing degrees taking that into account with the degree opening/closing figure given?

So I suppose there must/could be a formula to add that into the maths somehow, if its not included,  could anybody please explain.

John

Hi John,

I find it amazing how quick I forget what I did some 3 years ago. But i think the effect of the valve clearance is the same on opening and closing, not sure however, so it does not matter. Others with better memory will tell you how it is.

Check TDC first, do not rely on the pulley marks.

Cheers,
Waldi

2 hours ago, John L said:

If you use the equal valve lift method, how do you determine the valve clearance, as I suppose the figure is done without a tappet clearance, so by using the 0.010" valve clearance this will retard the opening by that amount surely?   Or is the opening/closing degrees taking that into account with the degree opening/closing figure given?

So I suppose there must/could be a formula to add that into the maths somehow, if its not included,  could anybody please explain.

John

What cam?  
The standard Triumph cam allows equal lift on open/close.  How to do it is detailed in the Service Manual.

Some of the more modern profiles do not permit this method due to asymmetric grinding.

This is the technique I use and have copied the timing tools/plates/etc illustrated.

https://www.macysgarage.com/cam degree.htm

Print your own cam timing disc here

https://www.blocklayer.com/degree-wheel.aspx

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT