starter motor 4a

Hello,

An old topic I know, and have trawled through various past threads,   but still have some questions.   My starter motor/engine goes "chug" once, and the engine starts.  Sometimes it takes three "chugs",  as though the motor or battery is struggling a bit.   I'm guessing this is not normal,  I expected more of an engine turning-over sound.  So I am thinking of getting a new starter.  From the old threads TR shop sounds like a favourite supplier - is it still open?  Their website looks out of date.

And how about a nippon denso,   they seem popular.  Is there a particular type to buy?

Cheers

Dave

====

Before you think of buying a new starter Dave, check out the electrical connections to it including the engine and battery earthing. This may be a simple as a bad connection or a failing solenoid contact. 

Edited by RobH

+1 for checking all connections, if you have a voltmeter check the voltage on the motor while cranking. It should be at least 9V preferably higher. A good new starter make is Wosp. TR shop sell these.

Bob

Thanks all,   I will check out the earthing connections,  and maybe put a wire from battery to engine - I read that in some or other thread.

My "chug" is such a slow sound  - like it is barely struggling to lift a piston, but miraculously seems to start the engine.  

I will read that earthing article.   Busy with Nottingham Forest on the telly at the moment.

Cheers

Dave

==== 

good news - Forest won 3-2 on penalties - traumatic but exciting, wife thought i was having a heart attack.

car news ---I read the article, makes a lot of sense.  Quick check of my engine to chassis/body earth cable - bit frayed, very oily and dirty, and hard to get at.  Other tests to be done this week.

Thanks for all your help

Dave

===

Indeed it is Huddersfield. I will be watching from behind the sofa.