More Gear Box oddities

Hi Folks

Am interested in your opinion on this one.. i am finaly getting round to finishing my gear box but have noticed some stange issues . 

1) The Gearbox number is MB 33934, on the other side of the casing is 306812 SM, it looks identical to a TR4  casing. its 4 syncro box with a dipstick gear selector housing   ?? O/D on 2nd 3rd and 4th i am woundering if its a Triumph 2000 casing ??

2) The T.O.S that came off the car was a phos bronze item which had an RHP 14w 2 1/16 thrust bearing  I purchased a new sleave and bearing from moss mainly as the old one had no rotation pin but the new T.O.S is 1.9in (bearing Fitted)and the old one is 1.58 (bearing fitted) . The  bearing is a Power Tune, not sure if they are any good ?? . I cant recall the clutch setting  but i am guessing that the clutch push rod can be adjusted to back to alllow for the correct T.o.S 

3) The clutch is a B&B diaphram  Type 8 81/2 cover 7628/35 , the clutch plate is B&B 53131 

The geabox worked fine for about 30,000 mls  and the clutch was always pretty light  but there is no sign of slip on the plate so this has thrown me a bit 

if anyone could throw some light on this i would be grateful 

cheers

Steve

IMG_7292.JPG

IMG_7294.jpg

IMG_7295.jpg

Clutch release 

The left hand one which is bronze is the carrier for a spring type clutch fitted with the release bearing for a diaphragm clutch.

The right hand one looks like a carrier in cast iron from TR5/6 for a diaphragm clutch.   No idea about the release bearing fitted to it.

many thanks Peter,  that makes sense, will check the B&B  part nos to see if it a 4/4A cluch   the casing has got me wondering though

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

what type of clutch pressure plate (cover) have you got.

Is it the  3 fingered spring clutch or the many fingers diaphragm clutch.

The spring clutch needs a flat faced bearing.  The diaphragm clutch requires a more cone shaped bearing

Both of the above show a bearing for a diaphragm clutch.

Roger

Triumph 2000 boxed did not have a dipstick, or O/D on 2nd gear. I think the top cover is from an early 3 synchro box, but with 4 synchro selectors.

Bob

MB is a saloon casing which as Bob says has been fitted with an early top cover - not sure about the other number which may be a rebuilders number as obviously the box has been got at previously. 

Is there an ID plate on the OD unit - that might give some more clues

cheers Rich 

Don't know if this is true for all boxes but after the (very sensible) dip stick/filler hole was discontinued the casting boss remained. It is fairly easy to bore the hole and fit a dip stick from and early car and hole in the tunnel cover too. 

MikeJ

17 minutes ago, SeidelVC69 said:

But the later top cover has 4 bosses. Dieter

The top remote casting is essentially the same TR2-6

The extra switch boss was added when reversing lights were installed (post TR4A) as it provides the switch location.  

Yes I agree looks like either a dipstick has been added or the mechanicals of a 4 synchro top cover have been built into a 3 sychro top cover.

The overdrive has a round drive flange which I had always considered to be TR6.  (or it is a saloon one re-drilled and machined to fit a TR prop shaft......)

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT