Oil Leak - Filter Housing - TR4a

Hello, finally tracked down an annoying oil leak on my rebuilt engine, I have the Purolator full flow filter head, the oil leak is between the housing and the threaded spring holder, not numbered in the Moss catalogue, there is a copper washer between the housing and the spring holder which sits in a recess, the copper washer is 50thou thick and I annealed it before fitting.  When I took it apart to inspect there where aluminium shavings where the nut on top of the spring holder was bottoming out on the filter housing, it looks as if the copper washer is too thin, it is the original, am I missing something obvious?, gasket cement?, thicker washer/ or two washers?, thanks in advance, cheers, Andrew

Do you mean the washer just to the left of item 11?  If so I believe that is a square section rubber washer that sits in a recess in the  aluminium filter head and is compressed by the washer 11. 

No doubt Roger will be along in a mo with a source for square section seals, as he fitted them to his gearbox selector shafts.  I have fitted an 'O' ring in that position.  Once in place it does not have to come out again (unless you are adjusting with the Oil Pressure and it undoes the whole thing).

Peter W

image.thumb.png.fa7228f80752a9c7691a8097a44a7c5f.png

Hello Peter/Roger, thanks for the response, I think you have identified the problem, I have no rubber seal fitted so that explains the spring holder bottoming out on the filter housing, I am sure I can find something suitable and in any case will report back on successful outcome, or not!, cheers, Andrew 

Hello, all sorted, in the end I found a thicker copper washer in a draw, opened out its internal diameter, annealed it, some wellseal and all sorted, the washer was 10thou thicker than the original.  I did order some from RS but they were lip seals and too thick, so if anyone needs any lip seals, 18mm id, 25mm od and 4mm thick, cheers, Andrew