Following on from my post about tyres for the TR3 I’m a way off needing them but thought I would ask the question so I can do some budget planning, so tyres for the TR5, I want to use the car as a ‘tourer’ so want to go full profile for comfort, torn between 165/80, 185/70 or even 185/80 so interested to hear peoples experiences/recommendations 

Hi Graham,

when I got my 4A on the road in '98 I had Firestone F560 fitted and they were excellent. Good wet/dry grip, low noise etc etc

Then they were taken away so I tried Continental something or the other - they were awful It sounded like a Hollywood action film - screeches and squeals.

I tried Vredstein T-TRak - they were OK but not stunning.

I have used and am still using Vredstein Classic Sprint - excellent - but at a cost

165/15/80  sits well in the wheel arches.

Roger

Hi Graham

Im with Roger I run 165/80/15 on the 4a on minilites they are hard to come by I dont think you will get 185/80 as I think they are only available as a commercial tyre

I found a marked difference in both handling comfort and as Roger says they look well in the wheel arch

Chris  

Hi Graham

I'm with both Roger and Chris and run 165/80/15 on my TR6 and same size on the TR4, Michelin XAS and Vredestein T-Trac respectively. I went back to full profile on the 6 when the Uniroyal 65 profiles needed to changing and I am glad I went back to XAS, the overall feel and handling are a definite improvement. The TR4 is a rally car so I run T-Trac as a summer tyre and as I need all the ground clearance I can get hence the need for a full profile tyre.

Dave

3 hours ago, brenda said:

Hi Roger, do you have tubes fitted, I will be looking for new tyres before my next MOT and I have tubes fitted to my wires.

Mike Redrose group 

Hi Mike,

I'm on repro minilites so no inner tubes.

Can you get the spokes sealed?

Roger

33 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mike,

I'm on repro minilites so no inner tubes.

Can you get the spokes sealed?

Roger

Depends if he has the newer type of wires as theyre tubeless now.

Stuart.

12 hours ago, brenda said:

Definitely not new 20 years old now.

Mike Redrose group 

Then you will need tubes.

Stuart.

I have a TR6, and use mine abroad, in the UK for trips to Scotland/Wales/Yorkshire Dales, or the bi-annual Round Britain Event- 2000 miles in 48hrs.  I run a 15x7 wheel, with 205/60/15, but I would suggest an original 15x5.5j wheel, 195/65/15 is absolutely fine here. 

Uniroyal Rain Experts are your friend, too. Circa £70 per tyre, fully INC.

I do around 7000 miles a year, so have a fair amount of experience in what works, in terms of comfort and grip, etc.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

195/65/15 gives a good choice of tyres and sane prices. Similar rolling radius to the ones below and not significantly heavier to drive. Really impressed by the Bridgestone Turanzas I put on the 4a recently.

165/80/15 were standard but less choice and very expensive for good ones.  Crappy ones give less grip which could be referred to as handling by some!