Water pump grease question.

Having replaced the water pump due to bearing failure, I wondered why the replacement did not have a grease nipple only a tiny hole in the casing of the bearing housing. I thought this was an oiling point but when fitted was underneath and then though is it a drain hole. Question is are the bearings now sealed?

Thanks Andy, like most things sealed for life, keep fingers crossed it’s a long life.

Since the pump just spins on its axis, loading is constant and the grease cannot escape easily, so its life should be long.  In fact, one could argue that over-enthusiastic greasing of water pump and of rear hub bearings can create problems by provoking leakage.

It's suspension parts where I don't believe in sealed for life - these need regular greasing in order to expel dirt and keep the parts lubricated.

Ian Cornish