I was very lucky with a propshaft company who balanced my TR3A propshaft which was about 8 years old and low mileage. I arranged for my son-in-law to help by bolting the front from inside while I lay on my back underneath holding the shaft in the right position.

I used new bolts, 107960, from Moss and their special locking nuts, ,GHF243 Cleveloc,  I expected it to be easy but the new locknuts were a very tight fit and with limited room under the car it was a very hard push to move the nut and it took many small movements to make it tight. To complete all four bolts took nearly 25 minutes and are very tight. I am sure that using regular Nyloc would be much easier

The problem ,on which I need some advice, is what to do about the bolts which are at the rear end of the shaft and facing towards the back of the car.. It is now tight but is almost touching the rear axle casting. I can see that there is clearance between the bolt and the axle casting but it is only a few thou. I must be doing something wrong but the parts are new from Moss and should fit

1. Ignore it but I will be always worrying on fast roads.
  2. Use. small disc cutter to cut off 1/8th" from each bolt which will be out of balance
  3. Take put the four bolts and refit with thick washers
  4. Remove and refit with regular nylock nuts which will turn easily.
  5. Try and fit the bolts facing forwards which will be a long job involving bruised knuckles.

I would appreciate some advice from those who have done this minor job and got it right.

Thanks Richard & B.

Sounds like the bolts were slightly too long, but if there is clearance even if only a few thou, it should be fine.  Unless the diff is shot the flange should not be able to move in to allow the bolts to touch the casing. For peace of mind you could cut off a small amount from each bolt, if you cut off the same from each the difference in weight will be that minute I would be amazed if it had any detectable effect on the balance.

Ralph

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Sounds like the bolts were slightly too long, but if there is clearance even if only a few thou, it should be fine.  Unless the diff is shot the flange should not be able to move in to allow the bolts to touch the casing. For peace of mind you could cut off a small amount from each bolt, if you cut off the same from each the difference in weight will be that minute I would be amazed if it had any detectable effect on the balance.

Ralph

+ 1... Lets face it you can cut the bolts...and then weigh them on the missuses kitchen scales to get them identical with a touch of a grindstone on heavy ones.

Mick Richards 

Richard, I have just measured 3 NOS 107960 prop shaft bolts.  They were in a Triumph package.    

They are 1.1” from under the head to the thread end.   How does that compare to the new you have and the old ones you removed?

Yes new nyloc nuts could be used instead of cleveloc   Just not as stiff to undo…..which prop shaft nuts (and bolts) tend to do on a regular basis.

From memory the end of the bolt threaded shank is close to the diff case when fitted but if it touched you’d hear and see the scraping as the thing trepanned to get clearance.   As the flange is fixed it should not allow it to go any closer than it is now…until the bearings on the pinion fail or wear to excess.   Then you are up a gum tree.  0.025” clearance would probably be enough.   Check with a feeler gauge.

E22FB421-2A1C-479C-9120-31D26EAC6B7D.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT