The TR250 I am rebuilding to an ordinary road car, with minor improvements like 

TR6 cylinder head, rebore, crank to be polished, new pistons etc etc but as for carbs, I believe the rule of thumb is to use H6 SU carbs, now the Stromberg carbs I have

are in good nick so  why are SU's preferred, how much more BHP are the SU's making?

In my view the SU’s are usually preferable due to the large range of needles available to accompany other engine and breathing mods. Of course, you may have a set of Strombergs that are already set up to suit your motor so you could save yourself a few quid. Stormbergs just need the occasional check of the diaphragms as well.

…… Andy

Edited by AndyR100

Hi Pete,

in the early nineties I changed the Strombergs for SU’s, but it made no difference, needless to say I was disappointed. It may have been a needle issue, but car ran ok.

Others will have a more fresh and hopefully better experience.

Waldi