TR6 Additional driving/spot lights

I am in the process of changing bulbs to LED's this due to a few drives coming up at night on UK Motorways and also French Autoroutes and concerns over being seen by other drivers.

The LED part largely completed with just a little gremlin due to my TR6 having a tow bar fitted and additional relays that are interfering with the electronic flasher, I can resolve.

My  next job is to upgrade forward vision. I already have halogen bulbs, and to be frank they are adequate.

I have several pairs of original lucas and Cibie spots and fogs. At least two pairs of the rectangular Lucas ones and the same for circular.

I do not believe that I have ever seen additional lights on the front of a TR6 that really works ascetically, but has anyone on the forum achieved additions that work well visually and work well. Pictures most welcome

Thanks 

Yes I like the grille bar lighting if it ads to driving safety, but not sure we would get away with that in Uk, worth a look though

Thanks

Here’s mine and Andrew Smiths “Saffie”

the Cibie Tangos come on with full beam. Perfect 

steve 

DF1F20F2-6128-4408-AFC2-DD0C2DBC1043.jpeg

Edited by whatmore179
2 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Fit LED H4s and you might find the spot lights are not required.

Fit HIDs and they definitely aren’t.

Sorry to be dense, but what are HID's ? I know of LED's.

It does seem that positioning extra lamps on the front end of a TR6 is not easy due to bonnet opening.

HIDs are High Intensity Discharge lamps , a.k.a.   xenon:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aftermarket-hid-headlamps/aftermarket-hid-headlamps

Does anyone sell the mandatory self-levelling and cleaning kits for aftermarket HIDs on TRs that would make them legal ?  

Edited by RobH

To be honest 35W Hids have largely been made redundant by Leds.

One of mine went after 10 years and surprisingly they were getting hard to find cheap on Ebay. Could get 50W ones but they are too bright.

Swapped to leds and still a quantum leap ahead of Xenon H4 bulbs.

HI Andy

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

To be honest 35W Hids have largely been made redundant by Leds.

One of mine went after 10 years and surprisingly they were getting hard to find cheap on Ebay. Could get 50W ones but they are too bright.

Swapped to leds and still a quantum leap ahead of Xenon H4 bulbs.

May I ask where you purchased them from?

Thanks

Andy

I got my LED Headlight upgrade from Classic Car LEDs. Much, much better than Osram Nightbreaker H4s. Not totally plug'n'play, as the control unit has to be secured outside the headlamp bowl and the hole in the bowl (tm) needs to be enlarged for the cable and connector, but pretty straightforward. If the conversion is legal for you, I can't recommend it highly enough.

John

I have just done this conversion for a friend here in France complete with LEDS.

PHOTO-2022-05-21-08-47-14.jpg

On 5/21/2022 at 7:15 PM, elclem1 said:

I have just done this conversion for a friend here in France complete with LEDS.

PHOTO-2022-05-21-08-47-14.jpg

Any chance of a picture of the whole car -never seen that mod before, looks very nice. Loving the coded spoiler (Actually, not sure is it is a spoiler or splitter or something... :) )

• 1 month later...

Love the conversion and the clever lighting on the grille, well done!

Does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of Cibie covers -- our TR-6 we just got didn't have them and I would like to protect them. Thanks in advance!

On 7/17/2022 at 1:19 PM, Steve-B said:

Love the conversion and the clever lighting on the grille, well done!

Does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of Cibie covers -- our TR-6 we just got didn't have them and I would like to protect them. Thanks in advance!

eBay is your friend - repro and original available for not a lot.

Have to say, I do like the Stag headlights inserted in the grille on this one https://classicsworld.co.uk/news/record-breaking-triumph-tr6/ anyone done this and is it a lot of chopping about ?

Edited by Jonny TR6

see my ditty above

I have just standard lamps without any spots. I have driven 2 round britain reliability runs which include 2 full nights driving (one through scotland and one through wales). First time i used standard halogen bulbs in my lamps and this was ok. Not as good as a modern but sufficient unless it was pouring with rain. For the second run i fitted LEDs. These were excellent. Very much modern standard and in fact the light reflected from large road signs when on full beam was almost too much. 
One warning though. When you use LEDs make sure you set the headlamp aim when the car is loaded, e.g. with people sitting in the car. Otherwise you will be blind oncoming vehicles. 
tim

Plug and play.

They have a control box that tucks in the lamp bulb

Day white. 

Tim

10 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Thanks Tim - classiccarleds by any chance ?

Yep!

Looking at the aforementioned classiccarsled site, it appears these are just the trick for a TR-6 as they require no loom or other mods. Anyone tried these: https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/12-volt-collection/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v ??

Also about to pull the trigger on H4 leds to replace attached Halogens (55w) but unsure of the tangible upgrade. Is it worth it??

Got caught in the rain last night and dipped is so poor but full beam is adequate. There seems to be a few options

1. Jazzy Chinese ones from eBay/Amazon 20 quid a set (have cooling fans built in, not keen)

2. Classiccarleds.co.uk (not sure of OEM name)...

3. Higher end Phillips/osram about 70 quid each.

4. Upgrade to a 75w halogen...

Unfortunately the side effect of more limens seems to be a real increase in colour temp. 6500k is just too blue white! 

20220724_141736.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone with LEDs, higher temp notwithstanding. I wouldn't go back. The illumination vs halogens on both high and low beam is, dare I say it, light and day. I'm sure the colour temp is not classic, but nor are today's driving conditions.  As I said earlier in the thread, there was a minor niggle in working out how to fit the control box but otherwise very simple.

JC

On 7/22/2022 at 10:11 PM, Tim D. said:

Plug and play.

They have a control box that tucks in the lamp bulb

Day white. 

Tim

Hi Tim, 

Do you mean the control box will fit inside the headlight bowl/bucket? I've heard people saying that some drilling has to be carried out?

I bought the Classic Car LEDs items a few months ago, not yet fitted.

Richard.