24 minutes ago, Deggers said:

On a side note Peter, that's a cracking picture.  :)

Just off The Ridgeway near Letcombe looking south to Hungerford.   Off roading my way down to a friends farm back in 2005.

55 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Thought of doing the same myself...then I thought about all those opportunities for a crack to develop from those holes in a wheel never designed for so many...and I chickened out. Looks good.

Mick Richards

You are thinking about square windows on aeroplanes Mick.   Roger will give us chapter and verse on stress and cracks I hope.

I too like the look of the Dunlop style wheels 

For me….The lack of centre caps or hub caps makes for an unfinished or I’m off racing look.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

One thing you do have to be careful of when using the larger wheels is the possibility of the tyre rubbing the return on the wheel arch lip when hard cornering.

Stuart.

Round holes = good  :)

Square holes = bad  :o

Back in the 70's the BEA TRident 2 - DH121 developed cracks in a wing butt strap joining the inner wing to the outer wing. It was very very serious.

We did extensive attachment hole inspections and X-ray inspections to track the cracking.

An interesting point  - along the butt strap ( apprx 12ft long)  there were round ended slots. These were to arrest cracking should it occur.

The Radiograph clearly showed the crack coming up to a slot and then going around it  :o OMG etc etc.

It would appear when the slot was machined into the original plank of metal it produced a hardened surface so not allowing cracks to happen - the best laid plans of mices.

Roger

6 hours ago, stuart said:

One thing you do have to be careful of when using the larger wheels is the possibility of the tyre rubbing the return on the wheel arch lip when hard cornering.

Stuart.

Stuart, weren't those D Type wheels with all the holes in Alloy (much thicker alloy) ? I didn't realise they did the same pattern in steel.

Mick Richards  

14 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Stuart, weren't those D Type wheels with all the holes in Alloy (much thicker alloy) ? I didn't realise they did the same pattern in steel.

Mick Richards  

The original racing wheels were certainly in alloy but I think the current repros are too

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
4 hours ago, stuart said:

The original racing wheels were certainly in alloy but I think the current repros are too

Stuart.

In that case I'm definitely happy I didn't drill my steel TR6 wheels to make them more Dunlop look a like. The differences in strength of the alloy wheels and steel TR6 wheels is chalk and cheese. If lucky you spot a minor crack on the steel emanating from a hole and inspect but if not and you do 70mph around some country roads with alternating left and right corners,... not a comforting thought. 

It's surprising that having a racing background makes me less gung ho, I don't know how I ever went onto a track !

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
17 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

In that case I'm definitely happy I didn't drill my steel TR6 wheels to make them more Dunlop look a like. The differences in strength of the alloy wheels and steel TR6 wheels is chalk and cheese. If lucky you spot a minor crack on the steel emanating from a hole and inspect but if not and you do 70mph around some country roads with alternating left and right corners,... not a comforting thought. 

It's surprising that having a racing background makes me less gung ho, I don't know how I ever went onto a track !

Mick Richards

TBH it does make you more aware of the risks which means you take steps to mitigate them but at the same time having been there and got away with it as you get older your less likely to do it again!

Stuart.