Spare wheel or not?

Hi D,

its been decided that I will keep the spare wheel with a new tyre. The original tyre was dated 1992! The wheel is currently being shot blasted and it’s being resprayed. Roger has suggested I get an electric scissor jack, so that’s what I’m looking for now, so n my any to choose from. 

Greg

7 hours ago, Greg said:

Hi D,

its been decided that I will keep the spare wheel with a new tyre. The original tyre was dated 1992! The wheel is currently being shot blasted and it’s being resprayed. Roger has suggested I get an electric scissor jack, so that’s what I’m looking for now, so n my any to choose from. 

Greg

Greg - don't forget you will need to rig up a power supply for it - I found the easiest way was to buy an adapter with a cigarette lighter socket one end and a cable with crocodile clips the other to go straight on the battery terminals - in time you can then install a permanent feed somewhere as so much modern electronic stuff needs them ie Sat Nav, phone etc

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384817920496?hash=item5998ef79f0:g:GNoAAOSwLytiTF8j

cheers Rich 

2 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Greg - don't forget you will need to rig up a power supply for it - I found the easiest way was to buy an adapter with a cigarette lighter socket one end and a cable with crocodile clips the other to go straight on the battery terminals - in time you can then install a permanent feed somewhere as so much modern electronic stuff needs them ie Sat Nav, phone etc

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384817920496?hash=item5998ef79f0:g:GNoAAOSwLytiTF8j

cheers Rich 

Hi Rich,

thank you for the advice and link. I am fortunate, when I had a new harness installed, I had an accessory power source and USB ports installed. I got the idea from a show where a TR5 had them installed where the ashtray fits. Mine are in the space where a radio would fit. First class modern equipment. haha 

Greg

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 6:37 PM, harlequin said:

Greg are you sure that a 165-80-R15 is not suitable for you existing spare wheel? I have them on my TR3 and the spare is only a 4 or maybe 4 1/2 J.

Have you tried fitting you spare to the car? Often the nuts for alloy wheels are not suitable for steel wheels, you may need to carry standard nuts for the spare.

George

Hi George,

my apologies for getting back to you late. 
I have it all sorted now, shot blasted wheel and sprayed. New tyre fitted. Well chuffed. 

Greg

On 5/14/2022 at 7:03 PM, Drewmotty said:

165/15 is a full profile tyre as is 165/80/15 they should have the same rolling radius. 

I’ve got it all fitted and it’s perfect. I was worried about the fit in the ‘well. 
sorry about late response. I don’t seem to get notices when replies come in. 

Greg