Spare wheel or not?

Hi all,

I am in a quandary, to have a spare wheel or not. Currently, my road tyres are on minator alloy wheels fitted with 165/80/15 tyres. Happy with this (these were on the car when I bought it). Unfortunately, the spare is on an original steel wheel fitted with a 165/15 tyre. Now, I am sure that this combination is s no no and a 165/80/15 tyre will not fit this rim. I am unable to locate a steel rim to take the right tyre, so it would be another minator wheel and new tyre. A tad expensive, but necessary if I go that root. I spoke to a friend who asked me when was the last time I had a puncture - a very long time ago. So, would it be worth just getting one of the inflation kits and enjoy the extra space. What are your thoughts and what gave you done? I appreciate that there may be a space saver that will fit, but would that affect the insurance? 

Greg

165/15 is the same as 165/80/16. No problem there other than perhaps the age of the spare. 
If you want a slightly wider wheel to match your Minator wheel a standard 5.5” TR6 wheel will do the job. 

Edited by Drewmotty

Having spent many years in Scandinavia where garages are often a very long way appart I would never go without a spare.

I am sure the inflator kits are fine for a flat caused by a nail but a split tyre is another story, and Odds Law will definitely dictate that a ripped tyre is exactly what you will have within a month or two of leaving the spare in the garage.:unsure:

George 

39 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

165/15 is the same as 165/80/16. No problem there other than perhaps the age of the spare. 
If you want a slightly wider wheel to match your Minator wheel a standard 5.5” TR6 wheel will do the job. 

Hi Drewmotty,

was there a typo, I have 165/15 on the car is 165/80/15.  Would the 165x15 work ok as a spare with the 165x80x15? I asked a tyre fitter and he reckoned it would be uneven due to the low profile. 

Greg

19 minutes ago, harlequin said:

Having spent many years in Scandinavia where garages are often a very long way appart I would never go without a spare.

I am sure the inflator kits are fine for a flat caused by a nail but a split tyre is another story, and Odds Law will definitely dictate that a ripped tyre is exactly what you will have within a month or two of leaving the spare in the garage.:unsure:

George 

Harlequin,

I do have roadside assistance with recovery if needed, but I don’t like to call in that if I can help it. 
I agree with you though, as soon as I go out without a spare I will get a flat that can’t be fixed. 
mid rather get a second hand wheel that can take the 165/80/15 tyre. I may come across as tight, but I have spent so much money on this car, I’m at the point where I would like to save a bit. 

Greg

13 minutes ago, Greg said:

Harlequin,

I do have roadside assistance with recovery if needed, but I don’t like to call in that if I can help it. 
I agree with you though, as soon as I go out without a spare I will get a flat that can’t be fixed. 
mid rather get a second hand wheel that can take the 165/80/15 tyre. I may come across as tight, but I have spent so much money on this car, I’m at the point where I would like to save a bit. 

Greg

Greg are you sure that a 165-80-R15 is not suitable for you existing spare wheel? I have them on my TR3 and the spare is only a 4 or maybe 4 1/2 J.

Have you tried fitting you spare to the car? Often the nuts for alloy wheels are not suitable for steel wheels, you may need to carry standard nuts for the spare.

George

49 minutes ago, Greg said:

was there a typo, I have 165/15 on the car is 165/80/15.  Would the 165x15 work ok as a spare with the 165x80x15? I asked a tyre fitter and he reckoned it would be uneven due to the low profile. 

165/15 is a full profile tyre as is 165/80/15 they should have the same rolling radius. 

21 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

165/15 is a full profile tyre as is 165/80/15 they should have the same rolling radius. 

And they both fit the standard TR4 steel wheel. 

1 hour ago, Greg said:

Hi Drewmotty,

Greg

I think they are the same ?

3 minutes ago, trchris said:

They are both the same tyres the tyre fitter should know this if he knows his job?? I would also never travel with out a spare in the 4a 

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will get the wheel cleaned up, then get a tyre fitted. 
be good to have this sorted. 

Greg

10 hours ago, Lebro said:

They are the same size, & fit well on 4" (TR2-4A) 4½" (TR5) & 5½" (TR6) wheels

Bob

Hi Bob,

thank you. I will arrange for the wheel to be cleaned and painted then get the 165/80/15 tyre fitted. 

as usual, you have all been very helpful. 

Greg

2 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

In the advent of a accident the spare will cushion the impact somewhat. After seeing a heavy rear ended TR6 I will always have a spare much that it grieves me to carry around that weight.

Regards Harry

I Hi Harry,

tgat is a very good and sobering thought. As I’ve said to Bob, I shall have the wheel cleaned and fit the 165/80/15 tyre. 

Greg

1 hour ago, lynchpin said:

If the spare is slightly smaller it would be no different to the space saving spare that was a standard fitting on lots of cars, my 89 Golf Cabriolet has one, you are limited on speed and I think it should be put on the back..

Phil..

Thanks Phil, I’m sure now that I can fit the 165/80/15 on the steel rim, so that’s the plan going forward. Next thing is what jacking point to use. The original was through the floor, but who has that equipment now. The car came with a scissor jack but no indication of a hacking point. 

Greg

Mine came with the original jack which as you say fits through the hole in the floor and hooks onto the chassis, did try it once just because I could and it worked fine lifted both wheels off the ground, thats on the shelf in the garage and I carry a small scissor jack and block of wood which fits under the chassis and will lift one wheel at a time, only had to use it once in 15yrs..use a trolley jack at home..

Phil..

Edited by lynchpin
17 minutes ago, lynchpin said:

Mine came with the original jack which as you say fits through the hole in the floor and hooks onto the chassis, did try it once just because I could and it worked fine lifted both wheels off the ground, thats on the shelf in the garage and I carry a small scissor jack and block of wood which fits under the chassis and will lift one wheel at a time, only had to use it once in 15yrs..use a trolley jack at home..

Phil..

I bet that is a nice museum piece Phil. I didn’t think of a block, I cut one for the jack I have. I did toy with the idea of a bottle jack.  Like you, I use a trolley jack in the garage or the hydraulic ramps I have. 

Greg

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

if you are considering a scissor jack then consider an 'Electric' scissor jack

Dark, wet, windy night on the kerb of a busy road and it will pay for itself in one use.

Also an ideal third hand when raising/lowering the Gearbox during a lcutch change.

Electric Scissor Jack

Roger

Thanks Roger, I’ll look into them I’d like something that may possible fit inside the underside of the spare wheel ideally. Space being at a premium. 

Greg

Just now, RogerH said:

Hi Greg ,

it will not fit under the spare wheel - I've tried.

However it does fit nicely on the left hand side of the boot next to the inner wing.

Roger

Hi Roger,

is the one you have in a case? That could well help a lot with storage. 

Greg