TR6 with no oil pressure - Anyone have any ideas or suggestions please

Stuart, I don’t think my oil and ign lights have been transposed. The photo below shows the lights and there is a name tag under each light. Oil is dark green, and the IGN is red. These are in the tachometer. The speedo has a full beam (blue) and direction indicator light (lighter green).

The IGN light come on with IGN switch and goes off once engine starts. The Oil light comes on with ignition switch but does need the engine to turn a few time before is goes off. It’s been like this since early 1990’s - the earliest photos I have of it. But I guess the oil light may have been replaced prior to that I don’t know. But I would think a weird thing to change??

3C85AA86-5D5E-496E-A2FA-56E7F8FB5FDB.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Martin50 said:

Stuart, I don’t think my oil and ign lights have been transposed. The photo below shows the lights and there is a name tag under each light. Oil is dark green, and the IGN is red. These are in the tachometer. The speedo has a full beam (blue) and direction indicator light (lighter green).

The IGN light come on with IGN switch and goes off once engine starts. The Oil light comes on with ignition switch but does need the engine to turn a few time before is goes off. It’s been like this since early 1990’s - the earliest photos I have of it. But I guess the oil light may have been replaced prior to that I don’t know. But I would think a weird thing to change??

3C85AA86-5D5E-496E-A2FA-56E7F8FB5FDB.jpeg

Same here Martin

I also have a couple of original TR6 sales brochures from 1969 and they both show the same dials, the Ignition and Oil lights can just be made out with the latter looking green to me.

Obvioulsy it would be easy enough to put the instrument bulbs in wrong position on the back, but mine are definitely correct as the minute oil light went out then the oil pressure gauge bounced off of the stop.

Indicator light obvioulsy flashes green and not permanetly illuminated and red ignition light goes straight out on start up with Amp meter bouncing off of the stop.

Perhaps the colour of oil light was changed to yellow/amber in later cars with the chrome instrument bezels?

Best not get on to the Clear Hooter washer and wiper switches....

TR6 Dials.jpg

Edited by droptoptr
1 hour ago, RobH said:

I believe this was discussed some years back because someone had an 'oil light' that stayed on when the alternator died.  I think the answer was that it is easy for the oil and ignition lamps to be swapped in their respective holders, and his were the wrong way round. 

I can see that would be easy to do but not the case with my issue.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

I think youll find its oil and indicator lamps being transposed.

Stuart.

Defintiely not in this case Stuart as Oil Pressure gauge only registered when oil light went out, although I can see it could be easily done.

Edited by droptoptr
On 5/16/2022 at 5:42 PM, Martin50 said:

Bruce, my oil light indicator is green. As far as i know it is original. The car is fairly early 1969 TR6. Just for info.

Mine is green, Feb 70 PI.

@Stuart. I'm intrigued. I've never seen a yellow Oil Pressure light (or yellow any other light on a TR TBH). You must have seen hundreds. Were many lights yellow?

John

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

@Stuart. I'm intrigued. I've never seen a yellow Oil Pressure light (or yellow any other light on a TR TBH). You must have seen hundreds. Were many lights yellow?

John

My 73 car has a yellow oil light.

My '72 CP also has a green oil light

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...