TR4a advice/guidance

Hello forum. First post and total newbie here. Finally after many years of wanting one i am in the process of buying my first TR, indeed my very first classic.

I could not afford to buy a fully restored running model so opted for a "doer-upper" which i know will probably turn out to be false economy! I have very limited mechanical knowledge but being a welder/SMW by trade i am intending to try and do non-mechanical bits and pieces myself. The car i am buying is a 65 TR4a which has been off the road for a few years. Bodywork looks solid apart from a few minor rust spots coming through. It also comes with what i believe to be an original Surrey top backlight.

I am based in Spain and the car is going to a mechanic in Barcelona who has been recommended by a couple of people. The plan is for the mechanic to do the minimum to get the car roadworthy and pass the MOT. Before he takes the car next week i have to decide whether i will be capable of "phase 2" myself or whether to have the same mechanic do most of it at the same time he is getting it roadworthy. What i am calling "phase 2" is basically fixing the Backlight, a new soft top and potentially replacing the windscreen frame.

I would like to try and keep the car as original as possible and it has been pointed out that at some point in the past somebody has "glued" or cemented the window frame to the body. I would like to look at reversing this and fixing the frame as it should be bolted on. Has anyone ever attempted a job like this before? There is also the question of why the frame was glued on in the first place and what i may find when i try to take it off? I could be opening a can of worms. The capper is also bashed up and will need replacing.

Also i wanted to ask the forum for thoughts on the backlight and the fixing process. Obviously it needs new rubbers and a bit of titivating but from the attached photos does anyone see any obvious problems?

If i am taking the windscreen frame off i might as well do the dashboard at the same time. The crash pads need replacing and i also want to replace the TR6 vents back to original TR4.

So getting the car running and sorting out the windscreen/backlight are my first goals. After that i will potter away on the car for years to come i am sure! So any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

20220512_095546.jpg

20220512_095627.jpg

20220512_095631.jpg

20220512_095748.jpg

20220512_095753.jpg

20220512_095904.jpg

20220512_095923.jpg

20220512_095954.jpg

20220512_100032.jpg

20220512_100202.jpg

20220512_100155.jpg

20220512_100251.jpg

20220512_100446.jpg

Hi Besalu,

welcome to the forum  -  have you got a name

you will get lots of tips and advice on here.

Firstly - whatever you take off the car do NOT throw it away - tatty bits always come in handy - honest.

Make a list of all the issues you have with the car  and then attack the priorities.  

The back light rubber seal looks beyond help.  Be very very careful if you remove it - the glass may be quite fragile after all these years.

There are a number of TR's in Spain - TRy and make contact either via the clubs or FB.

Good luck

Roger

I cannot imagine why a PO would have fitted TR5/6 type louvre assemblies to a 4A. Not only do they look wrong to the cognoscenti but they offer no benefit and actually provide less flow of fresh air than the grille vents fitted to the TR4/4A.

Tim

What are the "extra bits of brackets" near the holes for the hardtop on the screen frame for ? nether seen those before my 4 doesn't have them..is it that the 4a has different surrey fixings? 

Phil.

Edited by lynchpin

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
Inaccurate
25 minutes ago, lynchpin said:

What are the "extra bits of brackets" near the holes for the hardtop on the screen frame for ? nether seen those before my 4 doesn't have them..is it that the 4a has different surrey fixings? 

Phil.

I think they are the convertible hood attachment for 4A

Roger

On 5/15/2022 at 12:15 PM, lynchpin said:

Would make sense, I am sure someone will confirm it..

Phil..

Yes they are for the two clasps on the front of the 4A soft top. I unscrewed them when I fitted a Surrey top as they are superfluous.