J type overdrive problem

When first starting and driving my TR6 (1973) the overdrive works fine, goes in and out ok. When the car warms up it wont work at all, any ideas why?  The gearbox oil is full, so no problem there, and I assume the switch and solenoid are ok as it works at first, but after that im stuck as to why its not working.

It could be that the setting of the interlock switch travel is marginal, and heat expansion causes it to lose function altogether. 

There's no adjustment on the J type solenoid so it can't be that. 

Edited by RobH

J type solenoids can also stick, and from experience this seems more likely when hot. 

The solenoid on the J type O/D in my GT6 tends to stick in the engaged position when hot.  I'm going to try replacing the O ring seals on its piston, inexpensive fix compared to a new solenoid... if it works of course! 

Nigel

2 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

J type solenoids can also stick, and from experience this seems more likely when hot. 

The solenoid on the J type O/D in my GT6 tends to stick in the engaged position when hot.  I'm going to try replacing the O ring seals on its piston, inexpensive fix compared to a new solenoid... if it works of course! 

Nigel

I will be very interested in the outcome of your replacement O rings in the solenoid Ian. I have a similar problem on my TR6 except in does not engage when things get hot and only engages  if left switched off for a while, but then fails to switch on/off if energized for a while.

It seems to be relatively easy if you buy the 1 inch special spanner, when a you proposing to do this?

Regards, Colin.

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

I will be very interested in the outcome of your replacement O rings in the solenoid Ian. I have a similar problem on my TR6 except in does not engage when things get hot and only engages  if left switched off for a while, but then fails to switch on/off if energized for a while.

It seems to be relatively easy if you buy the 1 inch special spanner, when a you proposing to do this?

Regards, Colin.

I will try the O ring replacement 'cheap fix' in the next week or two. If it doesn't work, I will be fitting a new solenoid.

Nigel

On 5/13/2022 at 9:01 PM, Nigel Triumph said:

I will try the O ring replacement 'cheap fix' in the next week or two. If it doesn't work, I will be fitting a new solenoid.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, I look forward to hearing your findings, please let us know the results.

Colin.

On 5/15/2022 at 12:21 PM, c.hydes said:

Thanks Nigel, I look forward to hearing your findings, please let us know the results.

Colin.

Will do, probably next week.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up time...

I've dealt with the solenoid problem on the J type overdrive on my GT6. Due to lack of time and a burning desire not to remove the tunnel cover again, I fitted a new solenoid rather than renew the O rings on the old one.  After a 25 mile A road test run with plenty of overdrive use,  the problem sticking when hot seems to be cured.

I suspect new O rings in the old solenoid would have done the job but didn't want to take the chance. It's on the shelf as a spare now. 

Nigel

14 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Follow up time...

I've dealt with the solenoid problem on the J type overdrive on my GT6. Due to lack of time and a burning desire not to remove the tunnel cover again, I fitted a new solenoid rather than renew the O rings on the old one.  After a 25 mile A road test run with plenty of overdrive use,  the problem sticking when hot seems to be cured.

I suspect new O rings in the old solenoid would have done the job but didn't want to take the chance. It's on the shelf as a spare now. 

Nigel

OK thanks Nigel, well done in curing the problem.

Can you share from where you purchased, and the costs please, and did you purchase a special spanner?

Best regards, Colin.  

Hi Colin,

I bought the new solenoid from Rimmers, all the other usual suppliers are currently out of stock. The solenoid is made by Bastuck and looks to be of good quality. I also obtained the necessary O-rings from Canley, and will service the old solenoid then keep as a spare. I have two J-type equipped cars, the GT6 and the Scimitar GTE, so it's bound to come in handy one day!

And yes, the special spanner is essential, as the jaws any normal open-end 1" AF spanner are too thick to fit. Don't be tempted to try gripping the solenoid body with pliers or Mole wrench, damage is likely. Be prepared for a little oil loss when pulling the solenoid out, about half a cupful came out from mine and went on to rust proof the chassis.

Nigel

3 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Hi Colin,

I bought the new solenoid from Rimmers, all the other usual suppliers are currently out of stock. The solenoid is made by Bastuck and looks to be of good quality. I also obtained the necessary O-rings from Canley, and will service the old solenoid then keep as a spare. I have two J-type equipped cars, the GT6 and the Scimitar GTE, so it's bound to come in handy one day!

And yes, the special spanner is essential, as the jaws any normal open-end 1" AF spanner are too thick to fit. Don't be tempted to try gripping the solenoid body with pliers or Mole wrench, damage is likely. Be prepared for a little oil loss when pulling the solenoid out, about half a cupful came out from mine and went on to rust proof the chassis.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, useful information, Colin.

• 2 months later...

I had a similar issue on the J type overdrive fitted to my 4. I gave it a good clean and new o rings and it is now working a treat!

Andy