Headlight problem

I recently noticed a problem with my headlights.

When I use the flasher stick, or press the high beam on the floor, the left light goes out, the right light works fine.

I thought it was a faultly H4, so I put a new one in, same problem.

What can it be? a fuse? realy?

Peter The first thing to eliminate is the connection on the dipswitch to the headlights , is that still attached. Not  unheard of for the lucar connector parting company.

You're looking for the Blue / White coloured wire. If it's not that follow the line to the Headlight relay , again looking for a disconnected or damaged wire to the nearside  headlight. Then the back of the headlight it self , unusual but peel back the rubber boot if necessary to check.

Sorry re thought. If it's just the one headlight then check the Headlight relay output to the nearside head light. terminal marking should be No 87.

Shortly after the wires split , left and right at a rubber connector. Remove the wire and clean the bullet , replace and check lights.

Bob

Edited by bob-menhennett
error

Hi Peter,

welcome to the Forum

The flasher switch arrangement changed after '72 but there are similarities.

See here for the wiring  Typical wiring

There is a fuse for the flasher switch- check this. BUT it does not control the foot switch.

Using a Meter or bulb ion a fly lead - turn the main beam on and check at all the wiring connectors starting at the bulb ad working towards the switch.

Actually undo the connectors and ensure they are clean (very clean)

Roger

As standard there is no lighting relay so Bob's advice on that may not be relevant if your wiring has not been modified.

This is the arrangement for a car with a foot dipswitch:

As you can see both the LH and RH lamps are powered from the same switches and wires so if one works,  the switches and power feed must be OK. A possible  fault is in the connector where the  LH and RH feeds are split, or in the connection to the RH lamp holder.

flsh2.jpg.aeda8f5313de1ddf4f10fc033ea7d0c3.jpg

ok, thank you all for the replies. I will do some research in the weekend, and will let you know if I can fix it.

And perhaps to add to the symptom: when I engage the high beam, the low beam on the left lamp also quits working

Edited by PeterBosma
18 minutes ago, PeterBosma said:

And perhaps to add to the symptom: when I engage the high beam, the low beam on the left lamp also quits working

I take it you mean that happens when you activate the headlamp flash Peter ?  If so that is indeed odd. 

16 minutes ago, RobH said:

I take it you mean that happens when you activate the headlamp flash Peter ?  If so that is indeed odd. 

Indeed it does, when I activate the Highbeam with the foot or flash switch, the whole left lamp does not work, right lamp works fine. Or could it be that when you switch from low to high beam, the low beam does not burn at the same time? I thought that they both burned when you engage high beam?

No - you should have one or the other, not both except when you 'flash' when on low beam.  

33 minutes ago, RobH said:

No - you should have one or the other, not both except when you 'flash' when on low beam.  

Yes its only moderns with separate high/low lamps that have both on when using full beam.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a dodgy connection to the H4 high beam connection to me.  As per @RobH, I’d be checking those bullet connectors on the blue/white wire to the RH bulb.  If you have low beam ok, the ground should be good.