Plastic cap for brake master cylinder?

I am sure I am not alone in being plagued by apparent corrosion between the brake and clutch master cylinder bodies and their caps, which requires cleaning off at regular intervals. This brown mess looks like rust but of course cannot be since the cylinders and caps are an aluminium alloy of some sort. Some time ago I sourced a plastic replacement cap for the clutch m/c, as below, but so far have been unable to find anything similar for the brake m/c. I need a cap with an internal thread diameter of 62.5mm. Has anyone ever found such an item and if so could they please point me to a source. 

Tim

IMG_1168.JPG

This product ‘might’ be what you’re looking for Tim. Looks like it was made available in 2020, and has an ID of 65mm. 

It has similar de-bossed decals on the cap to the original, but made of polypropylene.

At £4.95 from Amazon it might well be on your doormat by the crack of dawn, delivery free! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgrade-Motorsport-GIRLING-Brake-Reservoir/dp/B08P3MMXVV

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

I have been using plastic caps for some years and posted on this some while ago, so a Search might find the info.

I purchased from competitionsupplies.com

64474602 for brake, 74470144 for clutch.

Warning: if brake master cylinder is not Girling, the thread diameter may be of a different diameter, and plastic cap may be too large - check the info about thread diameter on the website of competitionsupplies.

Ian Cornish

18 hours ago, boxofbits said:

This product ‘might’ be what you’re looking for Tim. Looks like it was made available in 2020, and has an ID of 65mm. 

It has similar de-bossed decals on the cap to the original, but made of polypropylene.

At £4.95 from Amazon it might well be on your doormat by the crack of dawn, delivery free! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgrade-Motorsport-GIRLING-Brake-Reservoir/dp/B08P3MMXVV

Kevin

Thanks for the lead Kevin - looks promising. I have messaged the seller asking if the cap is a direct replacement for and with the same thread as the Girling alloy cap part number 510844.

Tim

On 5/10/2022 at 7:23 PM, boxofbits said:

Kevin

Thanks again Kevin. I ordered this cap from Upgrade Motorsport and it fitted. Hopefully my days of forever cleaning the rust coloured mess off the brake m/c and cap are now over!

Tim

7 hours ago, tim hunt said:

Thanks again Kevin. I ordered this cap from Upgrade Motorsport and it fitted. Hopefully my days of forever cleaning the rust coloured mess off the brake m/c and cap are now over!

Tim

Brilliant Tim, glad it sorted the issue.

Regards

Kevin