Key Ring / Key Fob

I have a TR4 key ring, same as in the photo below, and in as-new condition.  I did a quick on-line search because I was not familiar with Standard-Triumph using a green globe, and so was interested to know more. 

My web search drug up < Classic Leather Fobs >  which describes same key ring as " Triumph TR4 - original vintage new old stock 1970s keyring "  and are asking £95 for it.   

IMG_8588-600x900.jpg

On the back of the metal, its casting says  Made in England, as does the gold (coloured) print on the back of the leather, which despite that website's describing it as 'Faux Leather' ..mine does appear to be real.

To my eye it looks to be a mass produced key-fob that my Uncle Joe might have bought from a shoe repair shop or Woolworths.  My question is two fold, 1. can anyone tell me more about this style of key ring ?   and  2. Does such a key ring really sell for that much money ? 

Thanks, Pete

I wasn't going to buy one Kevin, and certainly not at that price.  I was just sort of wondering if my mindset, seemingly still clearly remembering the 1970's of my youth, was so far out of touch with prices today.?  

However...  if someone want to buy this fine and authentic, as new condition TR4 key ring off of me, I'll undercut Classic_Leather_Fob's price by 10% !  ..post and packing extra :D

Pete

5 hours ago, Bfg said:

I wasn't going to buy one Kevin, and certainly not at that price.  I was just sort of wondering if my mindset, seemingly still clearly remembering the 1970's of my youth, was so far out of touch with prices today.?  

However...  if someone want to buy this fine and authentic, as new condition TR4 key ring off of me, I'll undercut Classic_Leather_Fob's price by 10% !  ..post and packing extra :D

Pete

I can’t recall Standard Triumph using a green logo either. I have the same key ring but cannot remember where I acquired it- maybe at a show.

I do wonder if they’ve ever sold any at £95 though. Like yours mine is going for a discount price, but I’ll do 20% instead of 10%!

Kevin

image.jpg

I would imagine that these were produced by an independant company with no authority from Triumph.  Manufacturers using a companies registered logo have to gain permission, so by producing something similar but in a different colour and using a different style of lettering etc they can get around the copyright laws.

Ralph

There seem to be a few different pressings of this badge. The first one posted by Pete is the same as mine but mine has more clearly defined 'milling' pattern around the green bit. Mine also has the solid bottom bar next to where it says TR4. Kevins keyring does not have this solid bottom bar but 3 distinct lines to the left of TR4. Maybe this is like coins where an error in casting produces a really valuable one - but then again maybe not.

Now if anyone sees a TR4A keyring.....................

And here is another kind of badge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D15j8ljPQk

Keith

Edited by keith1948
3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I would imagine that these were produced by an independent company with no authority from Triumph.  Manufacturers using a companies registered logo have to gain permission, so by producing something similar but in a different colour and using a different style of lettering etc they can get around the copyright laws.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph, your explanation seems well reasoned.

cheers,  

Be different & get one like this!

64DF9F06-2B25-43D0-900C-2FA486B89719.jpeg

14 hours ago, monty said:

Hi Monty,

Where did You get this? I really like that...

Rgds

Niels Peter

Maybe worth considering but dangerous practice to have a key fob which has your Registration number on it.

Lose the keys at a showground or large outside event and when found if the finder is a scumbag he has your keys and knows the car is in a limited location and how to recognise it. A ten minute walk around the car park to locate it and your car is...gone...and worse. If you have house keys on it also and you have a sat nav left in the car and have the "HOME" destination set at your address...he has your car and your house keys and it's location to within 20 metres. You would likely not even know that you lost your keys until later in the day when you had finished at the show.

In the meantime you are stranded at a show with no way of getting home quickly ! Sorry for being a bucket of cold water.

Mick Richards

8 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Maybe worth considering but dangerous practice to have a key fob which has your Registration number on it.

Lose the keys at a showground or large outside event and when found if the finder is a scumbag he has your keys and knows the car is in a limited location and how to recognise it. A ten minute walk around the car park to locate it and your car is...gone...and worse. If you have house keys on it also and you have a sat nav left in the car and have the "HOME" destination set at your address...he has your car and your house keys and it's location to within 20 metres. You would likely not even know that you lost your keys until later in the day when you had finished at the show.

In the meantime you are stranded at a show with no way of getting home quickly ! Sorry for being a bucket of cold water.

Mick Richards

+1, same thoughts crossed my mind too.

Ralph

Mind you I guess that having TR4 or whatever on the keyring narrows it down for the scum so if they get their hands on your keys its just a question of trying the keys in a few car doors of that make. Better to keep the keyring anonymous or if you are really sneaky attach a keyring for a different make to waste their time.

Well done Mickey for alerting us to this risk. Never thought about it before.

Keith

17 hours ago, monty said:

Taxed and mot’d I see Monty. Well done. 

Edited by Hamish
5 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

You would likely not even know that you lost your keys until later in the day when you had finished at the show.

Bluetooth trackers are a worthwhile addition to any keyring.

Devices such as Apple AirTags, Samsung Smart Tags or Tiles, allow you to track lost keys (or any other item they're attached to for that matter . . . wallets, dogs, errant relatives), and they'll send a realtime map location of its whereabouts to your phone. 

ApKyB.thumb.jpg.744d63fc360f1e8e59e0f9dedba70be4.jpg

Unlike a GPS device, they don't actually transmit their location. Instead they rely on being "seen" by other nearby Apple or Android phones, and it is those devices that collectively send the location details to Google. 

Not foolproof, especially in remote unpopulated places, but better than ambling about without your keys (or a clue) in a crowded show ground.  

Deggers

29 minutes ago, Deggers said:

Unlike a GPS device, they don't actually transmit their location. Instead they rely on being "seen" by other nearby Apple or Android phones, and it is those devices that collectively send the location details to Google. 

That's cool, Never heard of these ..musta been introduced since my time,  ie., in the past 45 years. 

Thanks, I'll check it out. That way if I leave the keys in the car then I'll be able to find the car :rolleyes:

Pete

Edited by Bfg
6 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Mick Richards

Thanks Mick, hadn’t thought of that! Will take great care! The plus points are that I have a hidden fuel cutout which means the scumbag will get a short way down the road until the car grinds to a halt & leaves him stranded, plus a battery cutoff, alarm with warning light, tracker & the usual steering wheel & handbrake immobiliser devices if required & a wife who seems to have eyes in the back of her head! 
I have always thought the best anti-theft device was ‘The Rear End Immobiliser’, a simple device of a sharp metal spike under the drivers seat programmed to only recognise the owners rear end but shoots upwards through the said seat on non recognition! Still needs perfecting!

Cheers.

8 hours ago, 62-tr4-DK said:

Hi Monty,

Where did You get this? I really like that...

Rgds

Niels Peter

Some years ago so not sure but I think it was from a place that prints replica tax discs here in UK but beware of Micks following warning. I would not want anybody exposed to theft. 

2 hours ago, monty said:

Some years ago so not sure but I think it was from a place that prints replica tax discs here in UK but beware of Micks following warning. I would not want anybody exposed to theft. 

Duly noted :)    

On 5/9/2022 at 1:28 AM, Bfg said:

I have a TR4 key ring, same as in the photo below, and in as-new condition.  I did a quick on-line search because I was not familiar with Standard-Triumph using a green globe, and so was interested to know more. 

My web search drug up < Classic Leather Fobs >  which describes same key ring as " Triumph TR4 - original vintage new old stock 1970s keyring "  and are asking £95 for it.   

IMG_8588-600x900.jpg

On the back of the metal, its casting says  Made in England, as does the gold (coloured) print on the back of the leather, which despite that website's describing it as 'Faux Leather' ..mine does appear to be real.

To my eye it looks to be a mass produced key-fob that my Uncle Joe might have bought from a shoe repair shop or Woolworths.  My question is two fold, 1. can anyone tell me more about this style of key ring ?   and  2. Does such a key ring really sell for that much money ? 

Thanks, Pete

They used to be sold by Moss for about 12 quid a pop