Good day,

I recall reading about the quality of brake pads and the recommendation to fit best quality pads before considering any other modifications such as a "servo"

However I cannot find that article and cannot recall the recommended pads, can anyone please enlighten me.

Regards

John

In my personal experience, in many different cars over the years, EBC Greenstuff are pretty much the best pads you can get for lighter sports cars.

You can buy them direct HERE (about halfway down the page)

More opinions here:

Cheers,

Ian

Personally I would never use Greenstuff pads as they feel very wooden to me. Mintex are a goo quality pad and well suited to a TR.

Stuart.

Fitted a servo, brakes now are outstanding. Same mid to a disk and drum TR had the same effect. Re engineer the brackets supplied by Moss and it fits very snugly in the space above the Ewarts tap with no impact on access to oily parts of the engine! 

Just now, mikej said:

Fitted a servo, brakes now are outstanding. Same mid to a disk and drum TR had the same effect. Re engineer the brackets supplied by Moss and it fits very snugly in the space above the Ewarts tap with no impact on access to oily parts of the engine! 

Can post pictures. Mike

A servo just makes the brake pedal lighter but ultimately doesn't change stopping power or fade resistant.

Not a fan of Greenstuff.  Having fitted them when they came with a vented caliper conversion kit, I was shocked how dreadful they were compared to the Hawke pads that were in previously. The only pads more scary were a set of Moprod ones I put in my Mum's Metro back in the 1980s that caused me to swerve onto the hard shoulder to avoid running into the car in front.

Mintex 1144 are a better priced alternative to the Hawke pads. The former have slightly more bite, the latter slightly better fade resistance. But not much in it bar price. 

On 5/9/2022 at 10:09 AM, stuart said:

Personally I would never use Greenstuff pads as they feel very wooden to me. Mintex are a goo quality pad and well suited to a TR.

Stuart.

Agreed, the Mintex Classics I have, have been superb.

Nothing to do with TRs, but my brother (once owner of a TR3 in the 1960s) has an electric bike as the hills round Stroud are pretty steep and he, too, is now in his 80s.  He was descending the steep hill to the roundabout on the Stroud-Stonehouse road, when the front brake failed completely.  As he no longer cycles as we did when young (more than 30mph down Ralph Allen Drive in Bath in the 1950s!), he managed to stop using the rear disc brake.  He couldn't get the disc pad out, so took the bike to a local bike shop.  The pad had disappeared completely, leaving just the steel plate, and the chap said that it doesn't happen very often!  Surely, should never happen at all.

Ian Cornish

On 5/11/2022 at 7:22 PM, John Reilly said:

Thank you all for the advice.

I now recall, having been advised above that what I read some time ago was about the Hawke pads.

As I do not intend to race I think the Mintex 1144 look the most suitable option 

Regards

John

Have used Mintex 1144 for a while now. Good stopping power and wear well although a bit dusty. Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner works well to shift the brake dust (other cleaners are available)

Performed really well on recent Pyrenees Rally with no signs of fade even after days of hairpin bends and heavy braking. Recommended

Phil

Even though safety critical they’re Expensive for a consumable

any cheap sources ?

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

any cheap sources ?

Just done a trawl with Girling GDB500 and Unipart GBP 172 part numbers and found the EBC product & price is not outrageous   No offer on the Mintex Classic site that I can find.

Crosthwaite & Gardiner who make the alloy B type caliper that fits an early TR, offer Mintex  1144. https://crosthwaiteandgardiner.com/parts/girling/brake-pad-axle-set-mintex-m1144-8

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, Hamish said:

any cheap sources ?

Never stint on tyres and brakes especially if you want to go fast.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, stuart said:

Never stint on tyres and brakes especially if you want to go fast.

Stuart.

Oh I agree with you Stuart. 
I’m running some ferrodo which I find brilliant but must be old stock. 

I just need to see where the next pads are coming from.

We’ve done well over 10,000 miles on Mintex Classic,  on a combo of the  LBL , Pyrennes and a recent run through the Alps to Monte Carlo. They have performed very well and have loads of life left. No association just a very happy customer.

Iain