Slight clonk from N/s/r sometimes when changing gear

Hi Folks,

For the past few days when i have been out in the car i have noticed now and again a slight clonk from N/S/R sometimes when changing gear and upon acceleration, had a look under the car and checked output shafts from the diff and the output shaft to the  N/S has about 1/8 of a inch backlash the O/S has no play, iam sure this is the problem, does this mean a recon diff? any thoughts please.

Regards

Michael

Okay, but when the backlash is in the diff, it's unusual for it to be one side only, that's why I asked about half shafts.  Hoping someone more knowledgeable will be along soon. 

Nigel

49 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Okay, but when the backlash is in the diff, it's unusual for it to be one side only, that's why I asked about half shafts.  Hoping someone more knowledgeable will be along soon. 

Nigel

Could be the flange nut has worked loose?

I would concentrate on the near side with the 1/8” clearance (which is not much if measured on the OD of the flanges by the way) so it could well be something different.

Waldi

Hi 

Managed to get the car on a lift today and on further inspection i found the problem is excess wear in the outer u/j, i did not think it would be  this as these are new uprated drive shafts which have done 4000 miles so sadly another bad parts problem.

Thanks for your imput

Michael

Michael -

Out of interest had you greased the new UJ since having fitted it?  I found that with UJs it is best to grease them using a powered grease gun - pneumatic or in my case a cordless battery Ryobi one - I had previously used a manual pumped grease gun for the UJs on my Land-Rover, and particularly with new UJs which tend to have hardened grease inside I found that the grease would only squirt out of 2 of the 4 needle bearing caps...with obvious consequences later...With the powered one grease is more liberally fed throughout the UJ cruciform.

Hoping the replacement goes better for you - annoying!

Mark