The indicator light on my original TR2 stays on permanently with the ignition on. The indicators aren't working. All other electrics are working normally.

The car is completely original. 

I'm assuming the blinker box has failed. I gave it a tap or two with no effect.

Anything else I should look at?

IMG_0781.jpg

10 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Is “blinker box” a technical term? :rolleyes:

It’s one I understand too ;)

Blinker box might be an Australian slang term I picked up off my father many years ago. I think the unit in dad's old Cambridge or Morrie might have been rectangular. Anyway, it is a common term amongst older car people here.

I had a spare laying around in my garage, fitted it in 5 minutes. Blinkers work, dash light doesn't. Probably a defective blinker box but thought it could be the globe failed. Contort left forearm under the dash (Smiths heater fitted) and replace globe. 1 hour. Dash light still doesn't work.

Note a loose/broken wire under dash. Centre dash lights not working. The wire from the panel light switch is too short to resolder back onto the terminal. Now need to remove panel light switch and fit a longer wire.

A 5-minute job becomes 3 hours. Why do I do this?

I don't drive this car at night, or haven't yet. It can wait.

Edited by John McCormack

Why not fit a modern "blinker box" - much more reliable.  They can be altered to fit inside an original metal can (I have done a few)

Bob

On 5/7/2022 at 10:20 AM, Ian Vincent said:

Is “blinker box” a technical term? :rolleyes:

It is for me too.  :)

In the same category as "Doohickey" (which covers any given thing I happen to be pointing towards at the time).  :D

Edited by Deggers
13 hours ago, John McCormack said:

...but thought it could be the globe failed...

My granddad always used to call electric light bulbs “Globes” . Maybe it’s an Australian thing, because he emigrated there in 1905. (Although when he got there he decided he didn’t like it, and within a year he headed home. Probably took him longer to go there and come back in those days than the time he actually spent there.)

Is “Globe” a common term in Australia for a light bulb? I’ve never ever heard anyone else call them that.

Charlie

2 hours ago, mike ellis said:

Globe is a common term in South Africa.

Bit of a coincidence because a few years before my granddad went to Australia he went to South Africa. (Not voluntarily though. He was in the British Army fighting in the Boer war.)

However I doubt if he encounter many electric light bulbs while he was there.

Charlie.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:14 PM, Lebro said:

Why not fit a modern "blinker box" - much more reliable.  They can be altered to fit inside an original metal can (I have done a few)

Bob

They fail pretty rarely, cost next to nothing and it is 5 minutes to replace. The new one I bought from a reputable supplier rather than a Moss one is working very well, better than previous ones I've used.