Phone holder

Having looked at the off the shelf options and tried the suction type (kept falling off) I put some thought into how I could locate the phone securely in a good position for using it as a SatNav. The ash tray was the obvious place to site the phone and with it flipped open it provided some support as well. 

So I decided on the following approach:

1) Applied male velcro tape to a spare phone case.

2) Applied some thin foam tape to the inside of the ash tray lid followed by female velcro tape. (The thin foam tape raises the velcro tape beyond the level of the indent in the ash tray lid.)

3) Fit phone in case and push into position. Charging cable can be inserted into phone if required.

The phone shown is an iPhone 12 mini, however I am sure this will work for most phones that are not approaching tablet size. The phone stays in place even on windy and bumpy roads and the position is perfect.

I used a separate phone case as I didn't want to have the one with the velcro in my pocket. When the phone is removed the ashtray lid can be closed as normal.

See attached photos. 

Hopefully this is helpful.

IMG_2496.jpeg

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2494.jpeg

IMG_3073.jpeg

I do similar but using a magnet or 2. Works v well

Tim

Caution, ensure it is secure. Once I had a similar arrangement and I found that with the windows wound down the shape of the dashboard guides any loose object across the car and out of the window on right hand bends.

Alan