Mx5 Mk4 seats in a TR6, they fit but not it you have a roll bar!

I’ve wanted a set of MX5 seats for my ‘6 for quite a while.

enquired of the usual recommended seller but no black part leather in stock and lack of resoonse to emails led me to try a pair of ‘nearly new’ mk4 seats.

these were removed from a 3 month old car that was then tracked, apparently the lovely old guy who sold me them held the mx5 track record at Castle Combe !

anyway the seats are beautiful, black leather with red stitching, and have heating and Bose speakers, and i thought their shape would actually fit with the tr6 shape and my Alleybars roll bar

made some temporary adapter brackets today and installed the drivers seat 

it does fit but rearwards travel is limited by the harness fittings that i have, and recline limited by the seat hitting the roll bar !

so not what i’d hoped for.

a brief test drive showed they are really comfortable, and they really grip you in corners so i’m disappointed that the roll bar interferes with them.

i’ll probably go back to original seats

steve

995F22E5-7736-49EE-AC5A-3357B117A874.jpeg

5D084391-0F28-4583-A8C3-9EBBDDD4B14F.jpeg

I thought it was MK1 or 2 seats that worked. Not sure on roll bar, though.

(I have bought Mk1 high back with inbuilt speakers but not yet fitted them as still a long way off that restoration point.)

You’re right Richard that the common fir is mk1 or mk2 ( separate headrest) seats, but i have seen 1 example with mk3/4 seats

The dealbreaker in my car is the rollbar, otherwise they do fit but are quite big

steve

Thanks for the picture Peter

do the frontmost fittings of you roll bar attach at the front corner of the ‘rear seat’ or on its top surface?

i think your bar may be set back further than mine!

steve

Thanks Peter, i’m not at home right now to check mine but will do !

Steve it looks as if your problem maybe that the MK4 seats are thicker in the back rest section hence the problem with the bar.

Stuart.