Oil Warning Light - for the 4-cylinder engine ?

Having only just realised that my TR4A doesn't have an oil warning light, I thought I'd ask if anyone has retrofitted one to a TR2 - 4A,  Vanguard or whatever Standard-Triumph wet liner motor.?   And if so where was the sensor fitted, what parts were bought from where,  etc, etc.. ? :blink:   . . . THANKS    B)

I understand the six-cylinder cars have one, and very likely some racers have fitted them ..just in case of a sudden oil dump. Even my 1950's Sunbeam motorcycles have one (although the pressure setting on those is just 4 psi).  Following the O-ring of the oil-filter stepping aside ..to allow its engine oil to quickly spurt out, then I'd very much like one for Katie, for those few seconds when I'm watching the road rather than the instruments. 

I wish to retain the original oil-pressure gauge, but in addition I really would like an uffing great big idiot-light positioned alongside the charge and indicator warnings, right in front of my nose ..between the speedo and rev counter too.  I guess its pressure activation should be set to around about 20psi.

Cheers, Pete.

Yes Ive fitted them too, easy enough to fit a sender in the oil gallery.

Stuart.

Pete

as Peter said I did this mod. 
and believe me if I can do it ANYONE can

the TRenterprises adapter and switch (20psi) is an easy way of doing it and fits and works first time and I didn’t have to mess about looking for other suitably threaded adapters. On the new engine it’s tucked away on the rear most oil gallery plug  earthed to a gearbox bell housing bolt.

i ended up with this warning light in between the speedo and Rev counter. 
it’s bright !!!!!!!

Eagle Eye Light Car DRL Fog Daytime tail Backup Rear Signal NEW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2pcs-10W-LED-RED-Eagle-Eye-Light-Car-DRL-Fog-Daytime-tail-Backup-Rear-Signal-NEW-/281825852424?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

It’s a good telltale that you have ignition on without engine running which could cook your coil. 

AB21337F-3989-4806-9E6D-F466D3468891.jpeg

024BB909-2CA6-4C73-BB30-8A40FE0239BF.jpeg

609E65C7-B6DE-446A-BB27-CA701E99F045.jpeg

TRrific , just what I'd hoped for - thank you Peter, Stuart and of course Hamish.

TR forum contributors come up with the goods once again !  

Much appreciated,

Pete

Thanks again Gents,  Just ordered the TR Enterprise kit  < here >. 

It cost £41 + postage = £51+  but then I guess the adapter from UNC to the fine thread of the switch is custom made, so really quite fair value ..and certainly very much cheaper than the damage which may be avoided if the engine did suddenly dump its oil ..and I saw & immediately responded to the warning light.

Its pressure is pre-set at 25psi, and so the lamp flashing at tick-over ought not be an issue.  Now that I've rebuilt the oil pump, Katie's  engine when hot and ticking-over around 800rpm, reads an oil pressure of around 45psi.   It still sounds like a tractor though !

Pete

Edited by Bfg

Pete,

I was going to mention this when I read your post a couple of days ago, where you said you did not have one, but I never got around to it…

I always thought that the way the oil pressure gauge pipe was connected to the engine via the threads on a filter head screw was a bit odd (yes, yes, everyone. I KNOW there are 100s of thousands of Triumph engines that do it that way, but I still thought it a bit odd.). I fitted my oil pressure gauge pipe to the engine oil gallery direct and, via a “T” piece, fitted a pressure switch on the end.

Just another way of doing it (Mainly because I had lots of pipe type connector things laying around.)

Charlie

DSCF5904small.jpg.fc07f95034a9e4eb69b2319b0618ca6b.jpg

Edited by Charlie D
30 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Thanks again Gents,  Just ordered the TR Revington kit  < here >. 

Pete

Thats actually TR Enterprises kit.

Stuart.

6 minutes ago, stuart said:

Thats actually TR Enterprises kit.

Stuart.

Oops my mistake..  for clarity I'll edit my post to correct it. 

Thanks, Pete

On 5/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, Bfg said:

Thanks again Gents,  Just ordered the TR Enterprise kit  < here >. 

It cost £41 + postage = £51+  but then I guess the adapter from UNC to the fine thread of the switch is custom made, so really quite fair value ..and certainly very much cheaper than the damage which may be avoided if the engine did suddenly dump it's oil ..and I saw & immediately responded to the warning light.

It's pressure is pre-set at 25psi, and so the lamp flashing at tick-over ought not be an issue.  Now that I've rebuilt the oil pump, Katie's  engine when hot and ticking-over around 800rpm, reads an oil pressure of around 45psi.   It still sounds like a tractor though !

Pete

Does it matter which location on the engine block is used for this switch/adapter fitting? I am favouring the one @ the front next to the dipstick as it appears the easiest to get to!

44 minutes ago, monty said:

Does it matter which location on the engine block is used for this switch/adapter fitting? I am favouring the one @ the front next to the dipstick as it appears the easiest to get to!

No, you can use any. I started out fitting mine to the front and it worked well. It’s on the rear with the new engine.

1 minute ago, Hamish said:

No, you can use any. I started out fitting mine to the front and it worked well. It’s on the rear with the new engine.

Thanks for that Hamish. With regard to wiring, is it just a matter of one wire to earth & the other direct to the led/bulb?

26 minutes ago, monty said:

Thanks for that Hamish. With regard to wiring, is it just a matter of one wire to earth & the other direct to the led/bulb?

I used a ignition switched live to the light then to the oil pressure switch and on to earth. Thus the oil pressure switch is “on” until the pressure triggers the switch to turn off the light.

this may help ? (But I have changed the led to a much brighter one see the link above)

Edited by Hamish
42 minutes ago, Hamish said:

I used a ignition switched live to the light then to the oil pressure switch and on to earth. Thus the oil pressure switch is “on” until the pressure triggers the switch to turn off the light.

this may help ? (But I have changed the led to a much brighter one see the link above)

Thanks again Hamish. I vaguely remember fitting this same switch to a previous TR but do not remember needing a live feed such as you have done from your volt meter. I now however cannot recall (the age thing!) how I wired it up! Just thought I took wires from the 2 switch spades to the led?

16 hours ago, monty said:

As Hamish say, no it doesn't matter where you fit the sensor switch as, for all practical purposes, the oil pressure is much the same within the oil-galleries of a small engine, including up its pipe to the oil gauge, &/or within an oil cooler. 

< here > is the way I fitted this kit into Katie, taking the (switched power) feed from the fuse box to the lamp. That lamp of course illuminates when the lamp's electrical circuit (via the wire to the switch) is earthed by that switch. 

Pete

On 5/11/2022 at 9:27 AM, Bfg said:

As Hamish say, no it doesn't matter where you fit the sensor switch as, for all practical purposes, the oil pressure is much the same within the oil-galleries of a small engine, including up its pipe to the oil gauge, &/or within an oil cooler. 

< here > is the way I fitted this kit into Katie, taking the (switched power) feed from the fuse box to the lamp. That lamp of course illuminates when the lamp's electrical circuit (via the wire to the switch) is earthed by that switch. 

Pete

Many thanks Pete, my unit is on its way.

On 5/12/2022 at 11:30 AM, monty said:

Many thanks Pete, my unit is on its way.

Great stuff Monty,

Don't forget to order the warning-lamp itself (..with a bright bulb), wire and connectors if you don't already have. I also used Loctite 5922 'flange-sealant' on the threads of the adapter into the block and of the pressure-activated switch into the adapter. I happened to have those extras  in my Bob (box of bits) but otherwise getting on with the task would have been delayed.   It's a 5/8" A/F open spanner for the adapter and I think 17mm for the switch. 

Pete.

The alternative to a warning lamp is an electronic 12V buzzer - which does not require an extra hole to be made in the dashboard.

Ian Cornish

I can hear the 12V buzzer which sits adjacent to the trafficator unit underneath the dashboard (to remind me that I'm still winking!), so I don't believe that I would have a problem hearing a similar buzzer for oil pressure warning.

Ian Cornish

When I fitted mine I thought of a a buzzer and light. It can be quite a busy time on a sprint.

but then I realised that it would be damned annoying to have the buzz every time the ignition was on and engine not running.

and I wouldn’t be able to hear the elec fuel pump tone change when the carbs are full.

9 hours ago, Bfg said:

Great stuff Monty,

Don't forget to order the warning-lamp itself (..with a bright bulb), wire and connectors if you don't already have. I also used Loctite 5922 'flange-sealant' on the threads of the adapter into the block and of the pressure-activated switch into the adapter. I happened to have those extras  in my Bob (box of bits) but otherwise getting on with the task would have been delayed.   It's a 5/8" A/F open spanner for the adapter and I think 17mm for the switch. 

Pete.

All done & working! Got a neat led lamp to match the others in the car from Holden Classic & Vintage. I only read your comment about sealant after my fitting the kit so will check for any leaking oil over the w/end! Difficult to judge tightness of the adapter to the brass switch so hopefully all ok.

Well done. I’m sure it will Be fine. 
and extra peace of mind. 

1 hour ago, monty said:

All done & working! Got a neat led lamp to match the others in the car from Holden Classic & Vintage. I only read your comment about sealant after my fitting the kit so will check for any leaking oil over the w/end! Difficult to judge tightness of the adapter to the brass switch so hopefully all ok.

58 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Well done. I’m sure it will Be fine. 
and extra peace of mind. 

Seconded B)

11 hours ago, Bfg said:

Seconded B)

Just done a few miles road test & all is well with no leaks! Thanks to you & Hamish for your advice etc.