TR4A Cylinder Head

Hi all

To keep the story short my 1967 4A has a cracked cylinder head. I’ve had it pressure and crack tested at Drakes in Bradford, I believe well respected establishment, they have pronounced it beyond repair, certainly they won’t touch it, and have said beware of others who say they can repair. It’s cracked internally in the area of number 4 plug.

The head is part number 511695, correct for the car. I have come across a 510084 head, but I’m told they are very early 4 heads, although still high port.

I’m seeking guidance/ thoughts on the cracked head, and also on alternatives, I know new ones are available, but at a cost…….. thanks 

ian

Nothing to lose,

...If I was you I'd bang some K Seal in which has as it's speciality...sealing hairline cracks in water jackets. Many Stag owners run full time with it in to help seal the somewhat problematical head gasket/inlet gasket/waterpump etc leak spots on the Stag engines. It's a mix of fine copper particles and ceramic granules and doesn't block the larger water channels in radiators or heaters etc because it's so fine unlike some of the other products on the market. Run it for another 1000 miles give it a chance to seal and then revise your opinion, to give you an idea I ran with it in my race engines over 7 years and had no problems... whatsoever, and for highly stressed race engines that run hot given the slightest opportunity that's it's worst scenario. 

The good thing about a crack in that spark plug area is it's normally an internal casting flaw from new that's degraded over time, very unlikely to give you a catastrophic failure of anything only a gradually increasing temp with plenty of warnings to allow other methods to cure it. There are a number of TR heads available used which are much better priced than a new one and that could be your escape avenue if the head cannot be sealed.

Mick Richards    

16 minutes ago, meesonia said:

Thanks guys, I had already tried TRGB & TRBitz with no luck.

Ian

Try TR Shop and TR Trader.

Stuart.

19 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Nothing to lose,

...If I was you I'd bang some K Seal in which has as it's specialty...sealing hairline cracks in water jackets. Many Stag owners run full time with it in to help seal the somewhat problematical head gasket/inlet gasket/waterpump etc leak spots on the Stag engines. It's a mix of fine copper particles and ceramic granules and doesn't block the larger water channels in radiators or heaters etc because it's so fine unlike some of the other products on the market. Run it for another 1000 miles give it a chance to seal and then revise your opinion, to give you an idea I ran with it in my race engines over 7 years and had no problems... whatsoever, and for highly stressed race engines that run hot given the slightest opportunity that's it's worst scenario. 

The good thing about a crack in that spark plug area is it's normally an internal casting flaw from new that's degraded over time, very unlikely to give you a catastrophic failure of anything only a gradually increasing temp with plenty of warnings to allow other methods to cure it. There are a number of TR heads available used which are much better priced than a new one and that could be your escape avenue if the head cannot be sealed.

Mick Richards    

Thanks Mick, your information is always excellent.  I'll try that in Katie's  engine.  With other products, I was concerned about blocking the radiator etc, but your experience and that of Stag owner very much reassure me.  

Pete

p.s. Can I use it in the gearbox too ? (..just kidding)

Hi Ian could be a long shot but you could give California Connection a try one of our group members has just got some Tr3 wings from them, and they import a lot off TR bits.

Hallfelds Farm Ashbourne DE61JR

01335 300312 emails to

californiacnnection@apincorporated.com

Mike Redrose group 

2 hours ago, meesonia said:

Hi all

hope this video comes through, would K Seal still work, looks like it’s being pressurised by the cylinder action.

ian

54DE3AA8-C91B-44BB-AB28-8D1BB9D74B98.MOV

Hi Ian,

You have a return message.

Mick Richards