clutch adjustment 4a

Hello

I have a graunching noise when the engine is running, but the gear in neutral. if i press the clutch down the noise goes away, when i lift my foot up the graunch returns.

I thought i would have a go at adjusting the clutch slave cylinder rod, hoping that it may have something to do with the noise.  Just now I notice in the old haynes manual  that it shows a spring from  the slave cylinder to the fork.  My car does not have one of these.

So my multiple questions are  a)   what is the graunching noise caused by? Any ideas?   and b) - should i have the spring? Seems to be some sort of return spring from what I can see..

Thanks

Dave

====

If the noise stops when you press clutch, assuming engine running & car in neutral, then the noise is coming from inside the gearbox...it could be the input shaft bearing but much more likely to be the layshaft bearings....these two shafts are spinning when the car is in neutral and clutch engaged (pedal up). When you push pedal down, the clutch disengages the gearbox and the internals stop spinning = noise stops

Hi Dave

Thanks very much for your reply.  Definitely sounds like the gearbox then.  
Dave

====

Hi

Probably a silly question, but have you put the clutch driven plate in the correct way round ? This would cause such a noise.

Usually they are stamped ‘Flywheel this side’ or similar, so worth checking when you have it apart …. The noise could be the springs rubbing on the flywheel, and if so you’ll see the witness marks. The driven plate is not symmetrical and the springs are recessed on the flywheel side so as not to touch.

regards

Tony 

Hi David,

the TR4A has a self adjusting clutch  cylinder. 

The clutch release bearing (CRB) is normally in contact with the cover fingers. So you do NOT need the return spring.

However if this slight touching is rattling the CRB  then fit the TR4 return spring.

If you get the same symptoms with both set-ups then it may well be the gearbox.

Roger

thanks all

As a first step I'll try the spring thing.    Easiest first..

Dave

====

If you add a spring you will most probably have to adjust the length of the push rod to give a small ammount of free movement.

Bob

blanking plate ---    well I guess its possible,  but I haven't done it. Is there a way to check?

16 hours ago, dpb said:

blanking plate ---    well I guess its possible,  but I haven't done it. Is there a way to check?

Yep just get underneath and have a look its obvious when you see it.

Stuart.

Well good news I guess, the cover plate is on the right way round.   Still investigating.

Err...check what happens to the oil pressure when you depress the clutch, does the pressure...increase and the graunching go away ? or does the pressure drop off and the graunching increase when you let the clutch out ? Might be interesting to observe.

Mick Richards 

The other thing that occurs is if the bearing carrier is too long ? Easy to fit the wrong type if it’s not what came out of the car and some of the reproductions just don’t fit.

1 hour ago, TR4Tony VC said:

The other thing that occurs is if the bearing carrier is too long ? Easy to fit the wrong type if it’s not what came out of the car and some of the reproductions just don’t fit.

Yep

Stuart.

1315196053_MarksTR5688.thumb.jpg.b15b412f0de587f970eaf8f3730e436a.jpg146592804_MarksTR5690.thumb.jpg.93165101ebdd43a2b28cacfaf57e0880.jpg1338137226_MarksTR5691.thumb.jpg.971fb1419a589d183949a1482c96b231.jpg

On 5/6/2022 at 7:48 PM, Motorsport Mickey said:

Err...check what happens to the oil pressure when you depress the clutch, does the pressure...increase and the graunching go away ? or does the pressure drop off and the graunching increase when you let the clutch out ? Might be interesting to observe.

Mick Richards 

Did that test.   As before, graunching stops when pedal depressed,   and starts when let back up.   The oil pressure did not change either way.  

Dave

====

Not sure about the bearing carrier, but I have never changed it.

Dave

====