Hi, have a pertronix ignition ( +ve earth ) and I'd like to carry a spare coil for a European road trip ( sensible? ). I hear about unreliable products so unsure about choice.

REgards  John Mellor

Sensible precaution John.  Bosch blue coil 0221119027 or Pertronix Flamethrower 40511 have good reputations, though I know lots of people use the Lucas sports coil apparently with few problems.  The trick is to buy it from a reputable seller and not from the likes of e-bay where you may be sold a fake knock-off. 

All are really intended for negative-earth systems but connected up with supply to the - terminal and distributor to the + terminal will work just fine. 

+1

I once had an MGB that had an intermittent ignition fault.

I bought a Luminition electronic module, put it in the glove box (Unwrapped) and never had another ignition problem all the time I owned the car.

Charlie.

I carry a spare Pertronix unit, will be much easier to change to in the event of a problem that reverting to points etc.

Bob 

My TR4 is fitted with a Powerspark high energy distributor and I thought it was faulty. After discussions with Powerspark I discovered that the Accuspark 3 ohm non ballast sports coil (red) that was fitted by the previous owner was a mismatch and they recommended fitting either a Lucas DLB198 or a Viper dry high energy coil (.8 ohm). I went for the Viper, a little bit dearer but the difference over the Accuspark is quite remarkable.

If this is suitable for your Pertronix (you must check that it is a high energy distributor. I believe they do several models) then I can't recommend it highly enough

Andy