Seat Runner TR4 = TR6?

Well I am going back to stock seats. - I love the comfort of the MX5 seats and I love the cloth cover - but they are just too high.

I think I know why the old drivers seat felt odd - the pivot part at the front has two holes in it - bizarrely, the front one on the right hand side is forward of the left side, which I think is twisting the seat slightly - cannot be modified without welding a plate which is beyond me- so need to get a new runner

There is one on fleabay that says it is for a TR4 - looks the same as mine - do any of you know if they are the same?

Cheers.

23 minutes ago, RobRennie said:

Well I am going back to stock seats. - I love the comfort of the MX5 seats and I love the cloth cover - but they are just too high.

I think I know why the old drivers seat felt odd - the pivot part at the front has two holes in it - bizarrely, the front one on the right hand side is forward of the left side, which I think is twisting the seat slightly - cannot be modified without welding a plate which is beyond me- so need to get a new runner

There is one on fleabay that says it is for a TR4 - looks the same as mine - do any of you know if they are the same?

Cheers.

What brackets did you use for your MX seats as Im 6`4" and I dont have a problem with them being too high and I use the brackets and instructions on the technicalities CD

Usual problem with people complaining they sit too high is when the seats have been recovered as most trimmers overstuff the seat bottoms so they look good but it doesnt help. If you still have original cloth covers then it must be the mounts unless your taller than me, TR4 runners arent the same as 6 ones, you need 4a on

Stuart.

photo1755.thumb.jpg.88b7a83ff6305ec81add6e8064413d53.jpg

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart,

The brackets for the MX5 seats came attached - the front is raised, but I do not think that is the problem - looking at the rear ones, I guess with some decent thinking about, they could reduce by an inch?

I appreciate the thought, I am rubbish at bracket making but a neighbour is a whizz.

I think I will get a correct runner and see how I get on with the standard ones.

Cheers

20 minutes ago, RobRennie said:

Thanks Stuart,

The brackets for the MX5 seats came attached - the front is raised, but I do not think that is the problem - looking at the rear ones, I guess with some decent thinking about, they could reduce by an inch?

I appreciate the thought, I am rubbish at bracket making but a neighbour is a whizz.

I think I will get a correct runner and see how I get on with the standard ones.

Cheers

Apart from the US style seats with headrests you`ll find its a backward step.

Stuart.

A while ago I went from TR4A seats to TR6 with headrests. The 4A seats don't lock onto the runners whereas the 6 seats do. I had to add a bit to the back of the runners so the seat locking mechanism would work. I also remember that I had trouble lining them up with the car and ended up using a forward hole and backward hole where the seat attaches to the runner at the front. If I used both front or back holes the seat would not line up.

I find the adjustable TR6 seat headrests too low. I had to make a friction roller because the original ones were missing. I used a rubber rawl bolt to get the adjustable part to slide up and down.

Keith

11 hours ago, RobRennie said:

Are your seats the MX 5 with headrests? Mine are the 'tombstone' type - not sure if that makes any difference as to the height of the seat? 

Mine have the separate head rests but the bit you sit on is the same on both as one of the guys who works for me has the tombstone ones and the seat height is the same. Its more likely you dont have the seat runner to brackets fitted right.

Stuart.

8 hours ago, Mike C said:

My TR6 failed a roadworthy test last year because the the seat runner locks didn't lock. 

They dont check that over here, TR4A seats didnt have the lock facility.

FWIW I have a set of those plates that fit to the back of the runners for the locks to work against. for 5/6 seats.

Stuart.

Well for me is standard seats all the way, I find them very comfortable actually. Personally I hate MX5 seats its the look of them more than anything else, they just dont look right in a TR.

Tin hat gathered so should avoid major injury!

Alan G

Thanks all - standard seats are fitted, they are ‘ok’….

I will look at how to lower the height by getting the plate changed.

Good to know base is the same, so I can experiment with the kit I have

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

As you have been kind enough to share your thoughts, I thought I would finish off where I got to.

Ordered seat adapters from TR Trader - then found that my MX5 seats runners had been modified - so had to order set of runners from TR Trader.

They are most helpful and very very quick to respond.

After modifying the runners as per instructions all fitted to the car. I wanted to back slightly lower than the front, so left the lower bolt on the front posts and removed the Lower bolt from the rear - you them have to reduce the height of the bolt and a couple of other bits of trimming.

But, after some swearing that would make a Navvie blush, they are fitted.

The long story short, with the adapter from TR Trader, the driving position is identical to the TR6 seats, but for me, much more comfortable.

So am now going to sell by TR6 Seats with the runners - there is no going back for me on this one!

Thank you all again for your input.