Trailing arm versus pothole

Showing my lack of knowledge of Triumph parts, are the trailing arms off a PI saloon or any of that range, the same as those on a TR6?

Regards

Bill

I think the Stag and saloon trailing arms are slightly different in size. These are essentially the same design and had telescopic dampers from day one. The IRS cars were probably intended to have telescopic dampers, but like many things in the world of cash strapped Triumph a fully reworked car didn’t happen. Had there been more cash would it have been a monocoque like the saloons and Stags. The trailing arms were designed with telescopic dampers in mind.

The key thing when fitting telescopic dampers is to trial fit the damper without the spring and make sure that the bump stop comes into play rather than the damper bottoming out or sooner or later in real use with risk of breaking the trailing arm, the brackets or mounts.

Would  it have happened with lever arms? No. Would it have happened with correctly sized dampers? That’s the question.

Cliff  - if you are looking for a replacement nearside TR6 trailing arm, I have one! It's the only one I've got, and it's been fully refurbished  - this involved it being blasted inside and out, then painted, checked for no cracks, all the studs renewed with new nylocs and washers, threads checked and found to be OK, inside then waxoyled and new/good rubber grommets fitted  - please see attached photos - not looking for a fortune just a fair price so if interested PM me your contact details and we can discuss

Cheers Rich

IMG_1991 Resized.JPG

IMG_1992 Resized.JPG

IMG_1993 Resized.JPG

IMG_1994 Resized.JPG

IMG_1997 Resized.JPG

On 5/2/2022 at 9:09 PM, Hamish said:

I’d try a claim against the highways authority a few pics with ruler in pic for scale of the pothole and pictures of car damage. 
try and get repair costs back. 

Good advice!

13 hours ago, DenisMc said:

Hi Stuart,

The tear in the casting looks to me like It might have been a casting defect (hot tear), so has perhaps been that way from the start. I'm amazed.

Regards,

Denis

Actually that one had an outer UJ let go at high speed, it had made a break for freedom out the side of the arm!

Stuart