Somethings slipping!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have spoken to Pete Cox who had been looking at this thread and also Dave Twigg at Rugby. Both were extremely helpful and both felt that the first port of call should be the solenoid.

It hadn't occurred to me that the solenoid could cause these symptoms.

I certainly hope that this is the case as it will be a lot more convenient to replace that than anything internal and probably a good deal less expensive

Andy.

Isn’t it nice to hear of companies giving advice that may provide a low cost fix that they don’t make anything out of. 

many could say send the box to us and we’ll have a look. 

14 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Isn’t it nice to hear of companies giving advice that may provide a low cost fix that they don’t make anything out of. 

+1

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

Absolutely

17 hours ago, ntc said:

Indeed but before anything check the oil then the electrical supply the switch is a weak link 

Both check out ok.

First step is to service the solenoid. 'O' rings in the post!

If that fails I will replace it.

If that fails it is o/d out.

Andy

2 hours ago, Ocheye said:

Both check out ok.

First step is to service the solenoid. 'O' rings in the post!

If that fails I will replace it.

If that fails it is o/d out.

Andy

And how did you check them?

On 5/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, ntc said:

And how did you check them?

Put it into normal drive on run. When the filler plug was loosened, oil ran out. Can't add any more.

In running the overdrive engages and disengages quickly and smoothly every time on the switch and was tested using a meter quite recently when we were modifying the overdrive mounting plate - belt and braces.

On 5/4/2022 at 4:55 PM, Drewmotty said:

If they’re leaking the operating pressure will drop off. 

That's what Peter and Dave said. A good clean and new 'O' rings should eliminate the solenoid as a suspect. Fingers crossed that it solves the issue which, I might add, is not causing me any problems under normal running, only when it got very hot climbing lots of hills and giving it a bit of stick.

Andy

Well, sadly, the solenoid service has not done the trick.

Dave Twigger at Overdrive Spares has suggested that, because the symptoms are relatively mild, it could indicate that the oil pressure in the overdrive may not be helping the cone clutch engage sufficiently and he has sent me some shims for the pressure relief valve.

I hope that the use of EP90 hasn't caused contamination of the friction surfaces as, apparently, Laycock specifically stated that it is undesirable whereas Triumph recommended it for the gearbox. A bit tricky to heed the advice from both organisations!

Hey ho, we'll keep plugging away

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 2:20 PM, Ocheye said:

Well, sadly, the solenoid service has not done the trick.

Dave Twigger at Overdrive Spares has suggested that, because the symptoms are relatively mild, it could indicate that the oil pressure in the overdrive may not be helping the cone clutch engage sufficiently and he has sent me some shims for the pressure relief valve.

I hope that the use of EP90 hasn't caused contamination of the friction surfaces as, apparently, Laycock specifically stated that it is undesirable whereas Triumph recommended it for the gearbox. A bit tricky to heed the advice from both organisations!

Hey ho, we'll keep plugging away

Andy

I may have jumped the gun, perhaps it needed to 'bed in', but I have covered some 270 miles over some pretty demanding terrain and all seems to be as it should be though I haven't had a chance to fit the shims as yet.

Andy