Gents

Having needed to take the door card off to fiddle with a bad window winder, I have reached the conclusion that after only 48 years, the board in the door card has had it!!

Last time it was off, I had to repair about half the mounting clip holes, and it is now more glue than board!

Q. Does anyone know where I can buy just the card 'boards' in preference to complete new door cards??

I have seen someone on EBay selling them (only @ £50 too!) but they are in Slovakia :angry:, so the shipping cost is @ £33!

Surely someone in the UK must make the boards for 'the usual suspects'???

I have asked several TR suppliers, but no-one can (will?? :angry:) sell me just the boards (they do however offer me complete new door cards, "in stock" too, and for only £150- 200!):o

My door cards are original and (virtually) unmarked, so I really do not want to replace the complete items, and (TBH) do not want/have the time to make new boards, as well as fit the covers!

Suggestions welcome!

GRP sheet is good for these & will outlast the car. Racetorations used to sell them, might be worth a call.

You need to glue the fabric rather than staple it, & they might be marginally thicker than the fibre board.

Jerry

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

Why not use a thin ply wood sheet. 

I used 3mm ply for the internal panels of my campervan and the boot panel behind the fuel tank of the TR6. Its easy to work with and should last much longer then the original hardboard.

George 

Edited by harlequin
  • 1 month later...

Gents

So, I followed your advice.

Bought 1/2 a sheet of 3mm exterior ply, and started cutting......

Used the old one as a template (pop riveted to the new ply)

2 coats of varnish later.

Had to do some minor 'fettling' of clip holes after the main drilling session, to get the clips to line up, but........

Happy with the end result!

20220522_123400.jpg

20220522_160435.jpg

I did!

4mm long (deep)

I Had some issue finding them, so now also have a pack that do not fit my staple gun! (they are too wide)

My gun fired them in 2 at a time, but I had plenty, as I had to buy a box of 2000!