I realise E10 fuel is best avoided like the plague but there may be circumstances when it's that or pushing the car home.

Revingtons are advertising E10 proof high pressure fuel hoses. This sounds like a good idea for the high pressure pipes but there are several small sections of flexible hose in the return circuit. Are people changing everything over to E10-proof pipe or keeping their fingers crossed?

David

22 minutes ago, WWT338J said:

I realise E10 fuel is best avoided like the plague but there may be circumstances when it's that or pushing the car home.

Revingtons are advertising E10 proof high pressure fuel hoses. This sounds like a good idea for the high pressure pipes but there are several small sections of flexible hose in the return circuit. Are people changing everything over to E10-proof pipe or keeping their fingers crossed?

David

I am using Gates Barricade Green Shield, Type 14 to SAE spec. J30 which can take up to 85% Ethanol so I should not have a problem! I have some E10 about 50%, in my car mixed with E5 as the BP garage that I called in on Sunday had sold out of E5. I cruised home on the M4 for 45miles at 70mph with no problems. The answer to your question is: no I am not.

Bruce.

I use my US spec TR6 most days and have been filling up with E10 since its been on the market, I  have changed all the hoses to type 14 and put ethanol mate in the tank. The only difference I have found is it seems to run better on the E10.

My car still has its vapour control system fitted which I hope will minimise the amount of water vapour getting into the tank, only time will tell but I don't think we need to panic to much at the moment

George 

Keeping your fingers crossed is definitely the worst you can do. I had some 3/16” hose marked “suitable for unleaded fuel” for the small sections from MU to tank. This was not ethanol proof. After less than 1000 miles it has swollen and flipped off the metal pipe, resulting in a pool of fuel under the car! The hose was supplied by James Paddock, I informed them. 

There are several topics on here about the fuel hose and suitability for E5/E10. Best to do a google search.

Waldi

You can always check the new hose before you fit it.

Simply put some fuel in a jam jar, cut a short section of your new fuel hose and drop it into the jam jar full of fuel.   Check it in a weeks time.  Any degradation of the hose means do not use it.

Peter W

Changed all my lines a while back, R9 hose through out. SAEJ30R9, pointless doing anything less as, over time, you will have to use at least E5, and increasingly E10, especially abroad. Any old style hose will simply melt away cause leaks and depositing lumps of rubber in the the fuel system blocking carbs, jets, fuel pump filters etc, see below. Do it once, do it well

Please wait while image is uploading...

20150831_181212_002-1_resized.jpg

20150809_190955.jpg

Edited by North London Mike

Changing rubber fuel lines to the right spec is all well and good, and quite easy to do (sounds like Gates Barricade is the best option)  but what about other rubber components in the fuel system..... Thinking diaphragm in the metering unit for example. Are there rubber seals in the Bosch type fuel pumps? Are all these parts readily available in Viton? Do they need to be changed if using E10?

I believe there is no ethanol in the high octane fuel from Esso and also BP, not sure about Shell (V-Power) so this is one way to avoid the issue, but prices are very high now of course.

Are there any thoughts on Tesco Momentum 99? I believe this has around 2 to 3% ethanol in, but does anyone have experience of using this for any length of time?

Rob

Rob,
The MU O-rings and membrane need to be changed to Viton-B. Also the 2 lipseals in the pedestal and the little O-rings in the injectors.
Neil Ferguson replaced all of them in my MU during an overhaul/calibration.

I assume a recently bought new Bosch pump will be E10 proof.
My old 996 pump maybe was not, it started leaking through the wire-conduit.

Waldi

2 hours ago, Rob Y said:

Changing rubber fuel lines to the right spec is all well and good, and quite easy to do (sounds like Gates Barricade is the best option)  but what about other rubber components in the fuel system..... Thinking diaphragm in the metering unit for example. Are there rubber seals in the Bosch type fuel pumps? Are all these parts readily available in Viton? Do they need to be changed if using E10?

I believe there is no ethanol in the high octane fuel from Esso and also BP, not sure about Shell (V-Power) so this is one way to avoid the issue, but prices are very high now of course.

Are there any thoughts on Tesco Momentum 99? I believe this has around 2 to 3% ethanol in, but does anyone have experience of using this for any length of time?

Rob

I have had my car for four years and only use Tesco Momentum may have used the tank of Esso but no problem reported by me, all my pipes are fine

I never filled up with Oct 95 (labeled as E10 over here), only Oct 98 (labeled as E5) and many pumps/companies still indicate that E5 does not contain ethanol. But my hoses had swollen and the tank filler hose was a stinking.

Not sure why I had the issues, but it looks like just “some” ethanol suffices to create these issues. 

Some of us indicate they have no issues, but even then, is it worth the risk?

Waldi

I used a load of E10 during the round Britain Reliability Run. No choice as the fuel shortage was ongoing. Didn't notice much different. Car ran well and economy was pretty similar. I am running the correct ethanol proof hoses. 

Only thing I have noticed is over wintering the car with a tank of petrol that has a mix or ethanol contents. When I restarted it seemed to flood a little easier but cleared its throat after about 50 yes

Tim

On 4/26/2022 at 11:34 AM, WWT338J said:

David

If you do not have E10 compliant components on your car stop using it until you do.
Keeping your fingers crossed is rather stupid?

Making statements like "I realise E10 fuel is best avoided like the plague" is also rather stupid. Why would you say that?

Cheers,

Iain.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:39 PM, SpitFireSIX said:

f you do not have E10 compliant components on your car stop using it until you do.
Keeping your fingers crossed is rather stupid?

Making statements like "I realise E10 fuel is best avoided like the plague" is also rather stupid. Why would you say that?

Cheers,

Iain.

Another example of scaremongering. I have been running E10 since it came out, no option round here. I have done a couple of thousand miles, use an additive and all is ok, I check hoses regularly. The fuel pipes will get changed to E10 compliant in the next couple of months and I will continue using additives.

8 hours ago, Phil Read said:

Another example of scaremongering. I have been running E10 since it came out, no option round here. I have done a couple of thousand miles, use an additive and all is ok, I check hoses regularly. The fuel pipes will get changed to E10 compliant in the next couple of months and I will continue using additives.

+1

• 6 months later...

I think nail varnish remover is acetone ( I stand to be corrected) and hence freely available but you do risk incurring SWMBO’s wrath if you don’t replace it -  of course you may have your own !

cheers Rich 

Edited by rcreweread
4 hours ago, Coops said:

What’s the story with the acetone?

If you do try it for goodness sake don't spill any on the paintwork.  It is also an aggressive solvent for a lot of plastics and elastomers. 

4 hours ago, Coops said:

I have 25 litres of pure alcohol, is that any use in my fuel?

People are already worried about 10% in the fuel - so you want to add even more? 

Edited by RobH

Given that we have had 5% ethanol for quite a while, will 10% significantly increase the issues?

Genuine question given the concoction of volatile solvents that have been in our fuel for a number of years how much worse is 10% over 5% for relatively new fuel lines of say the past 5 years?

On 11/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, DIYBOSSCAT said:

Rob,

I have been using Tesco Momentum in my 6 for years, no problems yet. I havent touched the fuel lines or system in the 12 years I have had the car.

Vince.

Good to hear Vince,

I might use it more often I think. I have been using Esso 98 octane (E5) which I believe has no ethanol in, but I think mixing it with the Tesco product will be more economical and doesn’t sound like it will cause any problems.

Cheers, Rob.

On 11/26/2022 at 4:48 AM, Coops said:

I’m intrigued! What’s the story with the acetone? And 250ml to how much fuel? Also where do you get it? I have 25 litres of pure alcohol, is that any use in my fuel? So many questions!:D

"Alcohol" is a class of chemical compounds, and there are many kinds.  Ethanol, methanol, and isopropyl alcohol are probably the ones most readily available.  Their properties are quite different.

Ed

Edited by ed_h