Filming shot advice

Hi guys. 
I am wondering if I can position my second camera to pick up something more interesting. 
I go racing by myself so track side shots are not possible. 
also I can’t use suction mounts outside the car. 
I have the usual forward facing camera on the roll cage. As many of you have seen.
https://youtube.com/c/HamishRacing

I have had a rear facing views before.

I could possibly “hide” a camera under the back for a back axle view. 
or maybe a view of the peddles ( next race is aintree on Saturday and no down changes !!)

under the bonnet may be too dark to see the carb fuel cloud stand off ??

what do you recon would be a good view ?

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

Hi guys. 
I am wondering if I can position my second camera to pick up something more interesting. 
I go racing by myself so track side shots are not possible. 
also I can’t use suction mounts outside the car. 
I have the usual forward facing camera on the roll cage. As many of you have seen.
https://youtube.com/c/HamishRacing

I have had a rear facing views before.

I could possibly “hide” a camera under the back for a back axle view. 
or maybe a view of the peddles ( next race is aintree on Saturday and no down changes !!)

under the bonnet may be too dark to see the carb fuel cloud stand off ??

what do you recon would be a good view ?

Behind the grill looking out through the starting handle hole.

Stuart.

How about a helmet view to reflect your assessing competitors on the grid and as you position yourself with other cars at the start and into the first bend, how far you look ahead around subsequent bends, looking in the rear view mirror, pits boards, at marshals, etc., and then also of a virtual-passenger watching you with speedy gear changes, when you use the overdrive, double declutching, steering responses, braking, etc.   Ie. multiple cameras on the driver, synchronised to responsive race driving, and seen in split screen / windows ..with your line around race track as a background for context ?

Sorry Pete. As I’m only doing sprints and hillclimbs I’m all by myself on track .

and I don’t think helmet cams are allowed at our level. My GoPro May block my view of ‘in visor’ film allowed ?

+1 for pedal shots! 

If helmet cams are not permitted, a GoPro Shoulder mount could make for interesting steering shots through the bendy bits

Or add a suction mounted GoPro to the aeroscreen.

Bolting and un-bolting GoPro mounts can be a bit of a faff when you want to change camera angles quickly. "Snap Mounts" use magnets to quickly attach and detach your GoPro either directly to your car, or from one mount to another.

Deggers

Edited by Deggers

For motorsport, a shoulder mounted camera is a BAD idea!      You want to be able to get out as quickly as possible, or to be rescued, ditto, and that large impediment between neck and shoulder will make removing the safety harness  much slower.   Many police officers today wear a 'bodycam', but they are much less obtrusive, and mounted by a docking clip (like the radio on the other  side)  on a close fitting  HiViz vest, so that the devices may be pulled off if necessary.    And, they are using lap and diagonal seat belts, not full harness.

Likewise, suction mounts are NOT permitted for motorsport!   In an incident - or not!  have you never had a suction mounted satnav fall off you windscreen? - they will come away and become projectiles in the cockpit.   Cameras must be "securely" fastened, aand scrutineers like to see them wired and with an emergency leash to confine them.   Please see MotorsportUK Yearbook regs:

5.21.5 The mounting of any camera must be 
specifically approved by the Chief Scrutineer. Any 
mountings must use a mechanical means of 
attachment sufficiently robust to withstand 
anticipated stresses and vibration and must not 
present any sharp edges or projections in the 
vicinity of the driver’s body or helmet. Where 
possible, a secondary means of attachment should 
also be used. Suction mounts are not acceptable as 
the primary mounting method.
Where cameras are 
fitted by professional TV or film companies, the 
Chief Scrutineer has discretion to approve non-mechanical mountings

John

Edited by john.r.davies

If you watch F1, you may have seen views from inside the drivers helmet! 

I presume built into the lining, so the above isn't a problem, although to have a device just there might cause injury if struck on that side.   I hope FIA approved!

They are very small and built in. 
considering you can get a great view from a doorbell cam it’s been a long time coming. 
F1 is something like this and fia have only certified a few helmet types. 

2DD42055-8469-48B7-868D-01C48B2AC919.jpeg

Quick question Hamish - you do a really good job of suppressing wind noise in your videos.  What is your technique?  As far as camera angles go, you already do a pretty darn good job!  I really like seeing the instruments along the way with the good sound.

Cheers

Dan

Cheers Dan

when it works i have used a really cheap clip on mic off eBay that is clipped and taped to the overrider bumper just by the exhaust. 
it does produce a great sound. 

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

They are very small and built in. 
considering you can get a great view from a doorbell cam it’s been a long time coming. 
F1 is something like this and fia have only certified a few helmet types. 

2DD42055-8469-48B7-868D-01C48B2AC919.jpeg

I concur with Deggers !  Learn something every day (Socrates, or someone)

The FIA does approve, as at its F1 Commission meeting in London yesterday, the use of helmet cameras had unanimous approval, and all drivers will use them in 2023.

John

Edited by john.r.davies