Axle stands : Hydraulic press test

Feel a bit more comfortable about the pair of Draper's I use under the 3A now.  :)

AxSta1.jpg.52bd047eace84d97a7e91ee583b66479.jpg

But the telescopic one certainly exceeded expectations! 

Deggers

Edited by Deggers
picture size

I've seen another video on youtube examining the possibility of the ratchet type coming unlatched due to vibration when hammering on the car. That was scarier than the relatively slow collapse of the overloaded ones in Deggers' video.

Pete

It was the way the ratchet design failed that surprised  me…………the telescopic far exceeded my expectations.

Edited by iain

Yes, same here. But both held (easily by a factor 2) the allowable load and did not suffer a sudden collapse in their working range.

I've just bought the Draper ones, almost makes me wish I'd gone for the cheaper ones, that in my mind didn't look as strong!

Edit:

Got home and checked the Draper ones I bought and they have substantial welding around the hole for the arm that enlarged on this video, so they should be stronger than the yellow ones shown. 

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
Update
3 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Wouldn't ever get under a car with the ratchet types having seen how easily they can be accidentally unlatched

when moving about under a car, when caught by a knee, a foot etc.

Car.

+1. Apparently many sold in the US also have a locking pin to prevent the pawl from disengaging.

Pete

I’ve actually seen the ratchet type collapse in use and it’s a scary experience - not one I would ever wish to see again.

For my money, the simple tripod type, with small foot plates welded on and with a large high strength steel securing pin, holed and clipped at either end are always going to be safer and much less prone to collapse. I’ve had the same set of four for 25 years or more and no issues, so I’d recommend the same.

regards

Tony 

The ratchet type needs to physically lift up to disengage...against any weight bearing down on it if it's under a car, there is also a small pin that secures the ratchet to the handle that would break if you tried to lift the car by the release handle, so I'm surprised to hear it could be knocked with a knee or foot... though I'm not going to try and test the theory! 

The bottom line is always put something under the car in case of a dead fall, a wheel, bricks, the jack etc with whatever type you use. 

Gareth

I have two sets of the tripod type and have never considered the possibility that they might collapse under load, they are just too substantial and a TR doesn't weigh very much.  Any concern when using them is always the stability of the tripod.

Rgds Ian

Interesting. I have the ratchet type at home but keep one of the folding type in my jack bag in the car, they are very compact and quite light. Good to know they appear to be well over-spec'd for supporting a TR or similar.

Nigel