Thanks for the instructions. I will order a pump tomorrow. I put the drain plug in this afternoon with some PTFE to make a secure joint.Is there a better sealer.  The car is starting well and we will be on the road after the oil is sorted.

There are other jobs but nothing important.

Thanks Richard & B

Most modern oils are supplied in a plastic container which has a pull-out tube built into the top. 

I find that. with left rear wheel removed, this tube can be inserted into the filler hole, and then the container squeezed by hand.

You do need to place some old newspapers on the floor to catch the inevitable spillage. 

In fact, because old British cars mark their territory, I have sheets of cardboard laid on the garage floor beneath the car, then newspapers lying on top of the cardboard.  The papers get discarded occasionally, but the cardboard lasts a long time as the oil seldom permeates that far!

Ian Cornish

I find that even with the plastic container pullout, it is a tricky task getting oil into the rear axle.  It's made a lot easier with a pump.  Fortunately my gearbox has a dip stick and a hole in the gearbox tunnel so that is never a problem.

Rgds Ian

2 hours ago, ianc said:

Most modern oils are supplied in a plastic container which has a (short) pull-out tube built into the top. 

FTFY

Who else remembers when axle oil came in squeezy-bottles with a long attachable tube precisely for this use ?

Progress. :huh:

16 minutes ago, RobH said:

FTFY

Who else remembers when axle oil came in squeezy-bottles with a long attachable tube precisely for this use ?

Progress. :huh:

I do Rob, and I thought that was what IanC was referring to, problem is that unless you have the vehicle up in the air and level it is a bit tricky to get the dregs out of the squeezy bottle - and if you try to bend the tube, it is far to easy for it to collapse and block the flow.  I'm with Richard, I find them a bl**dy pain to use.

Rgds Ian

So I bought a Sealey pump and it arrived today.  I extracted oil from the plastic bottle and managed to inject it easily. I failed to wear the gloves and my hands were very oily quite quickly. I was lucky that I could reach the filler  plug from outside , with the rear wheel removed, without being squashed under the axle

I managed to get a small drip coming out from the oil filler entrance and replaced the plug. The oil was slow and I was not sure how long to wait until it had settled and was full. A small dipstick showed the oil level to be at the plug.  The injection was quite strong  so there may be too much inside.   Have I put too much oil in the back axle ? How can I test it ? I do not want to stress the seals.

Please help.

Thanks Richard & B

Put a small container under the fill plug and remove the plug, if any oil comes out leave it until it stops, then wipe the plug clean and the edge of the plug hole...and screw the plug back in...job done.

Mick Richards

Thanks for all the advice. The 3A is back on the road and driving well. I was able to cruise at 60mph with no vibration and normal sounds. The back axle was serviced by Tom Cox and the propshaft balanced by Propshaft Services near Moss, at Feltham, very good service. The oil gun from Sealey worked in a few minutes and new oil was easily injected.

When I fitted the six bolts holding the bearing housing , on LHS and RHS, I used lock washers and not the locking tabs which are in place but not turned up into locking mode. It was very awkward to get them off and I ended up with the mini disc cutter. Now it has all new bolts, oil seals and one new Girling wheel cylinder.  Do I need to bend up the tabs or just rely on the lock washers?  Please let me know.

Lots of help on The Forum and the car is cruising very well

Thanks Richard & B.

The tabs are there for a reason but youve sort of negated them by using lock washers as well, turn them up if you can.

Stuart.