An IRS Drive Shaft Question.

One for all you TR4A/5/250 and 6 folks.

Have a group member on original type drive shafts, thats looking like it needs an outer U/J.

Why can't we just undo the six nuts holding the hub onto the Trailing Arm, and slide half the shaft out from the splines?

John.

Hi John,

in theory it should be possible.

However it is just as easy to undo the 4 bolts on the diff flange end.

Not sure if the drive shaft splines have a 'master' spline but if it doesn't you need to ensure it goes back the way it came off.

Roger

The splines do have a master spline (wider than the rest) just undo the six nuts & slide the outer shaft out.

Harvey

Yes that works fine, dont forget only 16lb torque on the nuts when you put it back.

Stuart.

From memory when I took my trailing arms off the 4 fixings on the diff end were difficult to access & tight/seized. I took the hub studs off & the shafts only went back on one way with a master spline.

Alan 

Hi Folks,

perhaps I am being a little old fashioned but when it comes to taking things apart I prefer to remove the whole lump and check all of it in one go.

Taking half the shaft out means some parts do not get a good look at.

Roger

12 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

perhaps I am being a little old fashioned but when it comes to taking things apart I prefer to remove the whole lump and check all of it in one go.

Taking half the shaft out means some parts do not get a good look at.

Roger

Agree Roger,

We'll do the lot, but my question was just about simplyfying the disassembly/reassemby.

When we did the first side, and removed all together, things like the handbrake cable stop, fouled the gaiter etc, and when

it was all on the bench the thing slid apart anyway.

John.

If you have the uprated coated drive shafts, they tend to have a larger inner UJ which may mean you can only get to the outer U/J by separating the two halves of the drive shaft.

The originals will come out as a whole unit.

The CV jpinted ones again assemble/dissasemble in two halves.

2 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Agree Roger,

We'll do the lot, but my question was just about simplyfying the disassembly/reassemby.

When we did the first side, and removed all together, things like the handbrake cable stop, fouled the gaiter etc, and when

it was all on the bench the thing slid apart anyway.

John.

Hi John,

that hand brake cable mount drove me mad.It wass the most annoying part of the job.

In the end I elongated its attachment hole so that it broke through the edge of the TA. 

Now I only need to undo the nut 1/ 2 a turn and then slid it out of the way.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

What grease did you use for refitting the axle shafts into the stub shafts?  I am almost out of my stock of Castrol MS3 high melting point grease and not sure what product has replaced it. 

The black Molybdenumdisulphide (Mo2S) is the best suitable grease. It is the grey stuff.

Waldi

Hi Waldi

C/V joint grease is a lithium moly & black

Cheers

Harvey