Identify this wire

Well, black would normally be earth so if it goes to the relay and is not attached to the body then you have no circuit. Is there a lucar tag welded to the body nearby that has come adrift?

Jerry

The first picture is an earth wire which would normally go to an earth tag spot welded to the body by the battery hold down bracket.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 702 - Copy.jpg

Just now, David Solloway said:

Do you know what earth it would be for?

Its part of the entire earth system there are several around the body.Including down the front by the headlamps and in the boot, it should be connected to the tag pictured in my previous post.

Stuart.

39 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Is there not a fly lead from the column rubber coupling top bolt to one on the bottom of the coupling to create an earth for the column? I can’t see it in the photo.

My 4a has one but maybe the changed the earthing system on the TR6.

Kevin

There should be on all 4/4a/5/6 a link across the column doughnuts. for horn earth plus one for the rack to earth on the chassis too. Also missing a locking wire on two out of four bolts.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I'm pretty sure I have that earth wire just sitting there like yours, I've never worried about it as all the electrics seem to work fine.  I too never knew what it was for. 

Gareth

45 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I'm pretty sure I have that earth wire just sitting there like yours, I've never worried about it as all the electrics seem to work fine.  I too never knew what it was for. 

Gareth

I echo Gareth’s comments. I was surprised when I came across it, but everything works fine with or without it attached.

Paul

17 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Gareth

Thats because there are several other earth points round the loom and they are all interconnected.

Stuart.

25 minutes ago, stuart said:

Thats because there are several other earth points round the loom and they are all interconnected.

Stuart.

Some built in redundancy is good for the electrics, might see if I can add it back in. 

Gareth

4 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Some built in redundancy is good for the electrics, might see if I can add it back in. 

Gareth

You want something like the connector that bolts on a coil and gives a spade connector you could then clean up the area and rivet it down. Or solder if you could get it hot enough.

Stuart.

30 minutes ago, stuart said:

You want something like the connector that bolts on a coil and gives a spade connector you could then clean up the area and rivet it down. Or solder if you could get it hot enough.

Stuart.

Great idea Stuart, I'll shall see if I can do that and update with a picture. 

Gareth