Fuel Injector Pipes

Moss sell the tubing by the metre. I made up a replacement pipe myself with no problems. You really need to make a wooden clamp to hold the tube whilst fitting the end fittings. I used some hardwood offcuts , instructions and dimensions are in the triumph manual ( brown book), which you can find on line if you don’t have a copy.

Mike.

34 minutes ago, michaelfinnis said:

Moss sell the tubing by the metre. I made up a replacement pipe myself with no problems. You really need to make a wooden clamp to hold the tube whilst fitting the end fittings. I used some hardwood offcuts , instructions and dimensions are in the triumph manual ( brown book), which you can find on line if you don’t have a copy.

Mike.

+1. They're not hard to make if you follow the instructions in the Brown Book or the Lucas PI Red Book. From memory I heated the nylon tube ends in hot water before installation  then blew the completed lines clear with hot air after assembly.

Top Tip: keep a couple of the old ones. Really useful for odd jobs like radiator overflows and gearbox oil refillers. They can be be bent using a hot air gun and then hold their shape.

Jerry

On 4/23/2022 at 8:18 PM, Andy Moltu said:

I bought a roll from Pirtek a few years ago.  

They have numerous outlets.

The originals were made from nylon 66 which is not ethanol 100% proof, you need to use nylon 12 which is but I have been unable to find a supplier in the UK.

Bruce.

6 hours ago, astontr6 said:

The originals were made from nylon 66 which is not ethanol 100% proof, you need to use nylon 12 which is but I have been unable to find a supplier in the UK.

Bruce.

Hoseshop.net

part no. INF64 ???

Has anyone experimented with routing the pipes around the back of the engine rather than over the top? Getting the Rocker box back on and seating correctly seems to be a game of chance otherwise, I resorted to removing the injectors to get it all out of the way.

19 hours ago, Macleesh said:

Has anyone experimented with routing the pipes around the back of the engine ...

GT6M recommends this - though I can't find his post from probably several years ago. My recollection is he suggests using slightly longer pipes when making them up and routing round the back to reduce heat soak. He may also have mentioned ease of access to rocker cover but I don't remember.

Cheers, Richard

Another advantage could be you eliminate the high-points were air can be trapped.

Don’t the longer lines affect the fuel delivery (like less fuel to #1)? Maybe only in theory.

Waldi

Heat soak doesn’t seem to hugely affect the standard pipes but the braided ones seem more affected presumably the greater surface area of the braiding can absorb more heat and transfer that to the inner pipe more easily than hot air directly to the nylon.

On 4/23/2022 at 8:18 PM, Andy Moltu said:

I bought a roll from Pirtek a few years ago.  

They have numerous outlets.

Def not gonna buy mine from there then, if they have numerous outlets they'll leak all over the engine bay :D

On 4/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, Spit_2.5PI said:

GT6M recommends this - though I can't find his post from probably several years ago. My recollection is he suggests using slightly longer pipes when making them up and routing round the back to reduce heat soak. He may also have mentioned ease of access to rocker cover but I don't remember.

Cheers, Richard

I basically made the troublesome ones longer to overcome getting the rocker box cover on and off.

Bruce.

On 4/22/2022 at 9:22 PM, Mike C said:

heated the nylon tube ends in hot water

Don't do this.

On 5/1/2022 at 3:20 PM, JohnC said:

Don't do this.

I remember reading exactly the same when I fitted mine - do not heat the nylon tubes as they will stretch and not return to their exact original diameter. If the block that you have made to hold the tube fits tightly you should have no problem tapping the the right-angled connector in. Having said that, the connector does get pretty warm while the engine is running, so who am I to say?

Cheers, Robert

FWIW I fitted "natural" colour, which is a white translucent material. Helped me diagnose a poor starting problem immediately - I could see the air bubbles in the pipes after the car had been sitting even just overnight. Refurbished injectors (just add $) - problem sorted :)

John

On 5/9/2022 at 9:25 PM, Andy Moltu said:

How hot do the injectors/pipes get in use?

Hot water at tap temperature should be fine. Boiling at 100C is likely to be above under bonnet temp.

Fair question, but the Lucas manual is pretty explicit:

300933136_ScreenShot2022-05-15at14_39_15.png.6ac52420e06feafa2b9a182b401381ea.png

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Fair question, but the Lucas manual is pretty explicit:

300933136_ScreenShot2022-05-15at14_39_15.png.6ac52420e06feafa2b9a182b401381ea.png

I have always used a home made clamp and used a tapered metal pin to help with the initial expansion of the plastic tube. I have only had one or two problems with the fittings going off center. Then I cut that section off and start again also making sure that the plastic pipe does not rest on the rocker box cover when fitted. All my plastic tubes are slightly longer than original.

Bruce.

55 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

Temperatures are relative.

Winter garage temp of 5 degrees, sunny day of 25, under bonnet temp of 70.

These are different to flame temps.

Not had one leak after putting in a mug of warm water. 

My experience as well, despite what I'd previously  read I the Lucas manual.

I guess I'm lucky with ambient air temp. I've recently replaced all injector pipes using a home made clamp (using wood, not Tufnol - what a rebel!) and all went well with no warmth. But I do agree - a mug of warm water can hardly do any harm. And if it started life as a mug of hot tea, so much the better :D